Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update issue in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gigahurtz

gigahurtz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

I have experienced an issue with a clients computer that is running Windows 8.1 and is unable to install any updates or run SFC /scannow. I have also attempted to use DISM and receive Error: 1812 An initilization error has occurred. 

At one point, there were 36 pending updates but now only one is showing, which is KB2962409. I've tried to install manually, no luck. It does not have Windows 8.1 Update 1 installed but I have tried to install that manually and still no luck. I've ran the troubleshooter for Windows Update as well and it reset everything but did nothing for me at all.

I'm trying to exhaust all options before I do a clean installation of the OS. Anyone else experience this before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MFaraday

MFaraday

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

Generic suggestion, but my usual trick is to stop the Windows Update service, delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, the restart the Windows Update service. This usually doesn't cause any issues(Google it, you'll see it's a common method). I would also suggest seeing if the Event Viewer shows anything different. Open a command prompt and type "wuauclt /detectnow", wait a few minutes and then open the Event Viewer and see if you find any errors. Another place to look would be C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log. You should be able to get a more specific error code to your issue in here, and hopefully you will be just a quick search away for the fix. If you have any other questions post back and I'll help.

#3 gigahurtz

gigahurtz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Generic suggestion, but my usual trick is to stop the Windows Update service, delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, the restart the Windows Update service. This usually doesn't cause any issues(Google it, you'll see it's a common method). I would also suggest seeing if the Event Viewer shows anything different. Open a command prompt and type "wuauclt /detectnow", wait a few minutes and then open the Event Viewer and see if you find any errors. Another place to look would be C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log. You should be able to get a more specific error code to your issue in here, and hopefully you will be just a quick search away for the fix. If you have any other questions post back and I'll help.

Thanks for the reply.

I have actually already deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder and disabled WU service. 

I've checked Event Viewer and the error lists: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070BC9

Some suggestions for this error are to run troubleshooter on Windows Update, run SFC /SCANNOW, run CHKDSK /r, disable anti-virus and nothing has worked.

I've also noticed the Refresh my PC option (for Windows 8) is not working as well so whatever is going on it's affecting both services.

Thanks again for your help!

#4 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

I also had problems with KB2919355 Win8.1.U (update) but mine were solved by running DISM /remove-package etc. Did you run that part of DISM?

My original problem was caused by not disabling AV/MW

#5 gigahurtz

gigahurtz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

I also had problems with KB2919355 Win8.1.U (update) but mine were solved by running DISM /remove-package etc. Did you run that part of DISM?
My original problem was caused by not disabling AV/MW

I have tried that and I get Error 1812.

#6 rg43

rg43

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

Have you run msiexec to see if windows installer V5 is there?

Edited by rg43, 24 August 2014 - 10:05 PM.

#7 PcLad

PcLad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Hello

I am new to this advise game so please bear with

I recently had this problem with Windows Updates nothing seemed to work until I found this man on Youtube

How to Download Windows Updates Manually

This worked for me Really hope it works Pal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users