Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COM Surrogate is eating too much memory for laptop to function.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 prefect

prefect

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Yesterday I had a malware problem that I've more or less cleared up, but after spending a day staring at Task Manager, I've now seen why my computer runs out of memory and crashes about once every three days. COM Surrogate, whatever it is, keeps running and eating CPU and Memory, and now its at a point where I can't do much else before it crashes my computer. I can end the processes and get a few seconds of freed memory, but then they come right back, even when I'm doing nothing else.

I looked around for answers, and one suggested that it was due to reloading a media thumbnail on the desktop. I removed all icons but Recycle Bin and my virus check from the desktop, but nothing changed.

Can anyone help me or know how to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hi,

Have you run any other scans? MalwareBytes AntiMalware or SuperAntiSpyware - the free versions are good at finding things that don't qualify as viruses but, are real PITAs

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users