Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupted Vista Update

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dst_13

Dst_13

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hi everyone. I have a huge problem and I'm at the point where I have no idea how to fix it. It all started a couple weeks ago with a Windows update, the kind you have to restart your computer. I fell asleep watching a video on youtube, and when I woke, my computer was frozen, sound was glitched like a skipping cd, and the prompt was up to restart my computer for the updates. So, I restarted and once back to my main screen I checked for the update that I supposedly needed, but couldn't find it. Ever since then, my computer has been freezing up/crashing/blue screening at least every hour. 

It was at least tolerable until yesterday. Like usual, it completely froze so of course I held down the power button to restart it. It loaded the bios menu( I think that's what it's called, with the system recovery options, boot manager, etc.) then after that it came up with a black screen saying 'BOOTMTGR is compressed. Press crtl+alt+delete to restart. I did, and it repeated this, no matter what I did. I got this fixed fairly quickly with the Vista install disc by repairing the boot drive. Thinking it was all better and fixed, I restarted and browsed the internet for a bit. Not even 20 mins later, it froze. It's still crashing and blue screening along with restarting itself. 

I've attempted numerous virus scans with Security Essentials, just the short quick ones. But every time somewhere after four mins in, it freezes. Sometimes during the scan, it just stops and says it can't scan my computer because the anti-virus is not turned on. After this happens, I get an alert that pops up saying my Windows Defender is now turned off.

I really have no idea what to do at this point. I've never ran into a computer problem I couldn't fix and I'm entirely stumped on this one. Here's everything I've attempted so far:

Running in Safe Mode: Everything loads up fine, but it's incredibly slow. I'm not able to perform a system restore as it says it's already running and it will now close.

Defraged my HD but every time it finishes it says it needs to run it again.

I've uninstalled all the most recent Windows Updates, but it changed nothing. I even tried reinstalling them, same outcome.

I've ran TDSS rootkiller but it showed nothing. Along with every other single system scan I've attempted with my computer, they all pass.

I've checked my computer temperature, fans are running fine and it's not overheating.

It all seems to have started with that Windows Update. I know I'm leaving some things out, but I can't remember off-hand. I've tried pretty much everything I know how to do and Google hasn't been much help for me in this case. I'm no computer expert, but I do know how to solve most problems. This is not one of them... Any help would be greatly appreciated as I work from home and can't get anything done with my computer crashing every hour.

*Edit*

After looking through the net all day, I've deleted certain corrupted files and now the freezing occurs less often, maybe once every two hours. I've ran multiple virus scans from different AV providers, came up with nothing. It looks like most of the problems are coming from Windows Defender. It's completely updated but it constantly freezes and says it needs an update. The version says it's the current one, but it says it hasn't been updated since January of 2013. I can't find anything that specifically coincides with my problem. I also realized I entirely forgot to post my systems specs. Not really sure what I need to put here, so I'll list as much as I can.

Windows Vista Home Premium

Service Pack 2

Model:                a6514

Processor:         Intel® Pentium®Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz 

RAM:                 3.00 GB

System type:     32-bit

Edited by Dst_13, 22 August 2014 - 08:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:09 AM

Hi Dst_13 and :welcome: to the Bleeping Computer Community.

The first thing to check is to run a surface scan of the hard drive for any errors or bad sectors. Run a diagnostic test for the hard drive either by a BIOS menu feature, boot menu options or a DOS bootable disc depending on the availability of your computer/model (please post it also next time). The freezing and BSOD might point to a hard drive problem.

Tekken

#3 Dst_13

Dst_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Ty so much for replying and helping me with this giant headache!

I ran diagnostics from the BIOS menu. The first time I tried, it came back with this:

File:\boot\memtest.exe

Status 0xc000000f

The second time I tried, it went fine and all sectors were checked off and labeled as PASSED.

And my computer/model? Beyond what I've already posted (Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2, Model: a6514) I'm not sure what exactly you want to know. :(

*Update*

Well,since the time I posted, things have taken a turn for the worst. I'm now on my sisters laptop because the freezing and BSOD have gotten so bad I can't even type a short post. My computer also now crashes in safe mode, diagnostics still show nothing. And there are now a group of redlines crossing the top of my monitor. Most are glitched out and broken up, but there's six lines running horizontally. It seems the damage is getting worse and I'm afraid to even boot it up unless I have to, in case even more damage happens....

Edited by Dst_13, 24 August 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hi, are you using the onboard video or an add-on video? If onboard, you will need to install a video card into the PCI express slot to verify if everything boots fine from there then just install the correct driver. The BIOS may auto detect the video card upon installation in slot depending on the PCI options or check the menu options. If a video card is already being used, then you must remove and just use the onboard video chip. An entry level card may be all you need for the desktop such as this.

Tekken

#5 Dst_13

Dst_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

I'm using an onboard Nvidia. Went into safe mode and uninstalled it and I found a slightly older add-on video card from my older computer. Installed fine, but took forever. Problems still persist....

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

Can you remove a stick of RAM and alternately use each to check on the difference? There are multiple issues going on with your desktop such as BSOD, Freezing and pixelated videos so the troubleshooting could well go into a bad motherboard, a power supply, video card, memory stick, loose cable/connections, thermal events and so on...

Tekken

#7 Dst_13

Dst_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

I've swapped the RAM sticks around, nothing. Same with using just one at a time and putting each one in a different slot. Needless to say, I've cleaned out all the dust from the inside already and made sure everything was properly connected. At one point, I even swapped out my HD to a completely different one and problems were still there. Is there any way to pinpoint exactly which piece of hardware is the culprit?

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

The second time I tried, it went fine and all sectors were checked off and labeled as PASSED.

I believe you meant by this is that pending sectors were reallocated right? If they were allocated to a good sector then it will pass regardless of the numerous allocation event count. Can you run a DOS diagnostic test this time by using the Manufacturer's Tools just to make sure that the drive is still reliable for further usage? Seagate?Samsung, Western Digital or Toshiba depending on your Storage brand by physicall inspecting it would give you the needed information as most support site has online instructions on how to further test the dependability of the disk drive. Post of the results next time if possible. This suggestion still also goes with my previous post... or not just a faulty memory stick.

There are multiple issues going on with your desktop such as BSOD, Freezing and pixelated videos so the troubleshooting could well go into a bad motherboard, a power supply, video card, memory stick, loose cable/connections, thermal events and so on...

Tekken

#9 Dst_13

Dst_13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:45 PM

I've ran the diagnostics from the boot menu and BIOS and it all says it passed. I then ran one from the installation cd, where it says Repair My Computer or something along those lines. Everything passed.

I finally decided to just go into safe mode and transfer all my files and important documents onto an external HD. I wiped the HD in my computer, which btw is a Samsung, Model: HD 501LJ. 

There's no more red lines running across my monitor anymore. I then began reinstalling Windows. Anywhere between 5 and 30 percent, BSOD.... Happens every time. The last time it BSOD, I wrote down what it said at the bottom:

STOP:0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x88922285, 0x81A6A74C, 0x0000001)

WimFsf.sys - Address 88922285 base at 8891A000, DateStamp 4a5bc0a6

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

I would address the problem on the mixed or added sticks of RAM which means of different product names first. By removing these RAM sticks, see if the BSOD problem persist. We will also need to see if the drive has no more pending bad sectors by running a software diagnostic within windows.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users