Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Hardware Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hi guys....a strange one here

I have a PC running vista. Was browsing internet when all of a sudden the screen just went white. I forced the PC to shutdown and every time I try to turn the machine on it turns off after 3 or so seconds. Has been running smoothly with no problems up until this. Has a new power supply fitted.

Any help would be great
Norman

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2014 - 11:40 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Are you running discrete or integrated video?

And, is your MB capable of integrated video?

#3 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Running with On-Board graphics card. There is a graphics installed via PCI-E slot but not in use.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Then something is causing the PSU to overload and shut down for safety purposes. Since you aren't using a vid-card we can rule that out.

You need to start isolating the MB from connected peripherals... disconnect any ODs, memory card readers, USB boards, etc, from the MB. Then see if it boots up. If that is No Joy, then selectively start removing RAM and/or changing the slots they plugin to. See if it boots up. If that is No Joy, then you will have to get serious, you will need to "breadboard" your system.

Here is a video on BBing ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEP3OLZvMm0 .

I suspect the problem is an input power plug to the MB, or the CPU has died.

Ground yourself momentarily to the chassis before working inside a PC case. BE CAREFUL, there are voltages that can injure you when working on electronics.

Let us know.

Edited by ElfBane, 22 August 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#5 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

Have tried unplugging optical drive - still nothing
Tried selective RAM boot up - nothing!! :-(

Will have a look at breadboarding but I think your theory of CPU failure is looking likely :-(

#6 ndonaldson2912

ndonaldson2912
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

After breadboarding the motherboard and only having power going to mobo, no HDD, RAM etc
Just mobo and nothing else, problem still persists, PC still turning off after a few seconds. Does this mean the CPU is blown?

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

CPU and/or MB.

You're down to that choice now, and both are pricey. Which one to try first? I recommend the CPU because of the symptom... rapid shutdown after power application is classic CPU failure. But there's no guarantee, sorry.

And what if the MB is "eating" CPUs? The only fix for that is just replace both.

Edited by ElfBane, 24 August 2014 - 06:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users