Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I force a specific port to use USB 2.0 and keep USB 3.0 support for others?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jonas914

jonas914

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:10 AM

Hi.

I have a DELL Latitude E6540 with Win7/64.   I also have a USB audio interface with its own control software.  The device doesn't play nice with Win7's USB3 drivers.  The control software can't communicate with it reliably.  I've contacted the manufacturer and they suggested to disable USB3 alltogether.  This worked.  But, now I have USB3 completely disabled in the BIOS.

I have done some research and I am curious if it is possible to force the Intel USB 3.0 xHCI driver to use EHCI (USB2.0) for a specific port?

I found some information that makes me believe it is possible, but I am not finding anybody on the Windows side of things trying to do this.   Mostly Linux users are doing this.

Can anyone help me?  As I would very much like to keep USB 3.0 support for hard drives I have, but still be able to use this audio interface on one of my ports using the USB2.0 driver.

My laptop has 4 USB ports, but they are all "SS" USB3.0 capable.

Here is the info I found that eludes to this fact:
http://superuser.com/questions/719079/usb-3-0-ports-function-as-usb-2-0-ports-on-windows-7-with-an-intel-usb-3-0-xhci

Edited by jonas914, 22 August 2014 - 10:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

I don't think it's possible. Those 4 ports are controlled by only one card. If you change one, it will be the same for all. There is no way you can install separate drivers for each port unless probably each port is coming from separate controller cards.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 jonas914

jonas914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Are you positive? 
Right now I have USB3 disabled in the bios.  I am showing 2 "Intel 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI" controllers, #1 & #2.  I plugged a thumb drive into all the ports and three of them seem to be attached to #1, and one of them to #2 with the integrated webcam.  

If they are showing up as two controllers, could I make one of them stay using "Intel 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI", and the other use the "Intel 8 Series/C220 Series USB xHCI" driver?

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Do you see separate USB controllers under device manager? If so maybe you can try downgrading or uninstalling the driver on one of them.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

According to the Dell website your system is designed to use the Intel USB3.0 xHCI driver.

Installing any other USB Driver would probably render the ports useless.

The Intel chipset device software released 8/1/2014 version 9.4.0.1027,A03 and the Intel USB3.0 xHCI driver released 6/6/14 version 2.5.4.40,A05 are recommended for your system and available from Dell here... http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e6540-laptop/drivers

Enable the USB 3.0 setting in the BIOS and purchase a hub.

Something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0J2-0020-00004

Features include USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports. Just might do the trick.

#6 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

USB 3.0 by default is backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

Your problem is the compatibility of your audio device with your controller. Since that hub that you linked is still going to go through the USB 3.0 on your computer, I don't see how it will solve your problem. Your USB controller will still decide if it's going to recognize your audio device not the hub. You can try. But no guarantee.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#7 jonas914

jonas914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

I re-enabled USB3, and I can see both drivers (xHCI & EHCI) in device manager, but when my desired USB2 device is connected, it is falling under the xHCI driver instead of the EHCI driver.   See attached image...

Maybe there's a way to tell Windows that this device is USB2 only?  The manufacturer couldn't help me.  They just told me to disable USB3 alltogether or get Windows 8.  They deal more with Macs anyway.

Attached Files

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

Is it possible that it conflicts with your webcam? Webcams have mic (audio interface). Why don't you try disabling the webcam temporarily and see if that does anything to solve your problem.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

A USB 3.0 USB 2.0 HUB Primer

http://electronicdesign.com/embedded/what-s-difference-between-usb-20-and-30-hubs

The particular hub I referred you to is externally powered. and a self contained chipset.

- Latest VIA VL812 chipset offers stable high speech connection compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux systems
- With a 5V/4A PSU powered and over current protection design.

#10 jonas914

jonas914
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

@badr0b0t - It's a known issue with the device that USB3 drivers in Windows 7 don't work with it, therefore the manufacturer states to disable USB3 and just let it all be USB2.  In my picture above, the MOTU device is showing up under the USB3 driver, but if I can get to show up under the USB2 driver instead without disabling the USB3 driver completely, then it might just work.  Is there something I can change in the registry to force it?

@old rocker - I don't want to use another piece of hardware.  This is for a portable measurement system, I'll disable USB3 before I use another piece of hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users