Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Classic Shell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Hi folks,

Was wondering if is save to use Classic Shell for Windows 8 and 8.1

apps.jpg?m=1374435101

I have seen this installed on few computers unfortunately all of them was infected with PUP`s and etc.

Will appreciate if someone have better knowledge about this product, because look pretty unsafe.

Many thanks,

Andy  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

I've been using it since Day 1. It's safe. Just make sure to get it from the official Classic Shell website and not from any other site.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

I have seen this installed on few computers unfortunately all of them was infected with PUP`s and etc.

Will appreciate if someone have better knowledge about this product, because look pretty unsafe.

Where did you get this information from?

1.  Do you know for a fact that the infections were as a result of Classic Shell?

2.  Do you know if these users downloaded Classic Shell directly from the developer or another clean source like Softpedia?

I don't use Classic Shell but I agree with badr0b0t - Classic Classic Shell is safe.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Here is a Bleeping Computer tutorial on Classic Shell. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

It was written by Lawrence Abrams (aka Grinler) who is the founder of Bleeping Computer.

He would NEVER recommend anything unsafe or harmful.

There is a download link in the tutorial. The link and file have been verified by him as safe.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hi,

If you want to improve on Classic Shell....try http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

You get a 30 day free trail and you can purchase for just under $5, about £3.something in GBP.

Regards.

:smash:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 xpclient

xpclient

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:18 AM

Here is a comparison feature-wise using which you can decide which is the better Start Menu :) : http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2399

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:05 AM

As with badr0b0t, I googled several options and selected Classic Shell, as it seemed the better of the free options, so it went in that day.

If you scan with your Antivirus daily, AdwCleaner (just once), MBAM (on a regular basis) and other tools, I have not found, what I would call an Infection. I only ever use the Classic Shell interface and the other stuff if I "must".

Gee, I installed IncrediMail 2 when helping another person with their install, and the PUPs / Minor items, were easy to remove in about a day of dedicated work (I am not saying to install this extra)... 99% of these free programs will install without problem once you do your basic computer set-up.

1/ Antivirus (usually something pre installed) 2/ Antimalware (MBAM or a similar program) 3/ Just take care (a lot of new garbage out there) and away you go.

4/ Am I Infected if you do hit the wrong buttons, and we can help there, so - - Just take care - - -

Thanks -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users