Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Downloading / Installing Macromedia® Flash & Shockwave

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dizzydancingdude

dizzydancingdude

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

I’ve recently discovered problems when trying to view videos / games on some websites. I’ve checked my Java & ActiveX settings in IE6 (enable). :thumbsup:

I have AOL9 & IE6 and Windows 98 SE - and I'm not a PC expert!

I’ve tried to reinstall Macromedia® Flash® Player 8 and Macromedia Shockwave® Player but encountered the following problems:
Macromedia® Flash® Player 8
When you see the installation completion movie above and text below, your installation was successful – but a movie doesn’t appear – not even an empty box.
Macromedia Shockwave® Player
A message box appeared: “This page contains a new Shockwave format movie that the current shockwave control cannot handle. Would you like to download the newer version of the control?” When I click on yes, the same page reappears along with the same error message…

I’ve tried the suggestions on this forum and the adobe & shockwave.com websites but it’s made no difference. :flowers:

In case of possible damage to the Shockwave Player, I’ve
· Uninstalled Shockwave Player
· Deleted the swflash.ocx file in the Macromed directory: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Macromed\flash\
· Reinstalled (well, tried to) the Shockwave and Flash Players

After reading:
” If you wish to install the Shockwave and Flash Player ActiveX controls and are unable to due to this feature, we have downloadable executables which will rectify this problem. After running this executable, proceed to the Shockwave & Flash Players Download Center to install Shockwave and/or Flash Player.”
I downloaded:
· http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...exinstaller.exe
incase I was unable to install the Shockwave ActiveX control due to IE5's Install on Demand feature
· http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwa...exinstaller.exe
incase I was unable to install the Flash Player ActiveX control due to IE5's Install on Demand feature discussed above, select this

I don’t think it’s my PC security blocking the download nor pop-up controls

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I did come across the following article but to be honest, I don’t really know if this is the cause of my difficulties – don’t really understand it!

IE Changes Due: What You Can Expect
By Gregg Keizer, TechWeb News
April 11, 2006 (1:35 PM EDT)
URL: http://www.techweb.com/wire/185300271
Microsoft Corp. will release Tuesday a security update for Internet Explorer that will also change how users interact with Web sites. Some sites that rely on popular ActiveX controls, such as Apple's QuickTime, RealNetworks' RealPlayer, and Adobe's Flash and Acrobat, are likely to give users fits.
The change, which Microsoft has been warning Web site developers about since December 2005, was made to abide by a ruling in a patent infringement lawsuit Microsoft lost in 2003 to the University of California and its startup, Eolas Technologies Inc. With the changes rolled out in a mandatory security fix, any IE user who downloads and installs Tuesday's security patches -- either manually or via an automated system such as Microsoft Update -- will likely need to modify how they use those sites which haven't been rewritten.
What should users expect?
--- By default, IE will now consider embedded ActiveX content as inactive. Thus on unmodified sites, ActiveX content will not run. In other words, music won't play or a Flash component won't launch.
--- To activate an interactive ActiveX control, move the mouse over the content -- which now will be boxed -- and click on the pop-up tool tip dialog.
--- Alternately, users can press the Tab key until the focus is set on the content's box, then press either the spacebar or Enter key to activate.
--- Each control on each page must be manually activated in this way.
Adobe has posted a short Flash-based demo that shows the activation process. (Ironic note: If you're using IE after the Tuesday update has been applied, you must active the Flash demo manually.) Microsoft has acknowledged that not all Web site developers will have modified their pages to account for IE's new behavior -- the easiest way for developers to sidestep user activation is to call the ActiveX controls via JavaScript -- and so will also release a patch on Tuesday to delay the changes. "We will create a “compatibility patch” (deployed like a hotfix) that allows customers to turn off the change for a limited period of time through the June update cycle (2nd Tuesday in June)," wrote Mike Nash, Microsoft's head of security, in a blog posting last month.
The patch will put off the activation requirements until June 13.
"[This is] to provide time for enterprise customers to resolve compatibility issues," added Nash.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:06 AM

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

If you have any popup disabling aps, disable them while downloading an Active X component.

If you are using IE, disable its popup control.

With IE - look for a small yellow band accross the top of the screen which might appear and follow the directions to allow popups and Active X installation from that site.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:54 AM

You can also download Java from Sun Microsystems, the inventor of it. Sun's java works better than MS's adaptation of it.

JAVA SOFTWARE for Your Computer

FREE DOWNLOAD

http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users