Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting weird shadows/smear next to icons, cursor, words, etc.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Keebos

Keebos

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

http://gyazo.com/850c3fd96f18c1448cd161853d9dd307

You should be able to see the smear type of thing next to the icons. All I did was alt+tab out of a game I was playing last night and this happened. It's everywhere! In a game, browsing the web, on my desktop. There's also a faded grey bar on the side of the screen the didn't show up in a screenshot.

I can't find anything on this. How can I fix this?

If it helps at all, I'm using windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

I can see a grey zone going down and left from the Adobe icon - is that what you are referring to ? 

What sort of computer is this happening on - make and model ?

Off the top of my head I would try a system restore to a point before this started and see if that fixes it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Keebos

Keebos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I can see a grey zone going down and left from the Adobe icon - is that what you are referring to ? 

What sort of computer is this happening on - make and model ?

Off the top of my head I would try a system restore to a point before this started and see if that fixes it.

Chris Cosgrove

I'm using an HP DC7900. I tried playing a game a got fixed somehow. Then out of the blue, it happened again just before posting this, but it's not nearly as bad as it was before.

#4 Amythyr

Amythyr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Are your display drivers and graphic card drivers up to date?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

I should have said this earlier - welcome to BC !

I still think a system restore is your easiest starting point. Click 'Start - Control panel - System' and then in the top left hand corner of the system screen click on 'System protection'. In the box that appears, click 'System restore' and just follow it from there. When the restore is finished, you may need to re-boot.

I googled this computer - that's why the make and model is useful - and it was a well received business desktop when it was released. However, this means that your computer was probably built between 2008 and 2010 and the possibility exists that it is beginning to show signs of age. Like Amythyr, I think you could have a graphics problem. If the restore doesn't fix your problem, then go to the HP web-site and download the latest graphic drivers for your computer and install them.

If you still have this smearing after that, then you are probably looking at installing a separate video card. According to the review I read there should certainly be room for a basic video card, which are not expensive, and in any case will give you better graphics performance than the on-board graphics this computer came with. You could always see if a friend would lend you one to try before you buy.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users