Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Line issues - putting your ISP's Tech Support on the spot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

In another post, I made a mention about a person needed to check their line speed.  Basically, quite a few times, I've had issues, and my ISP's Tech Support dropped my line speed while troubleshooting, and never put it back to the speed I was paying for.

After the first time this happened, I got an account on speedtest.net.  Then, I do periodic tests of my line speed (3-4 times per month), and I'd have a record of them, like this (this is an older screen capture):

106bwo1.jpg

Tech support would lie, saying nothing was wrong, including my speed.  I'd get them on a conference call with the CEO's office (people that worked for him/her), then get them to say nothing is wrong, then provide the link to the above.  This proved the person was a liar.

"Stuff" like this is what prompted me to write the one program that sits in my tray and checks my connection:

8/22/2014 6:52:01 AM Tried (paragon-software.com, ip: 195.243.17.214); Successful?: False
8/22/2014 6:52:01 AM Tried (google-public-dns-a.google.com, ip: 8.8.8.8); Successful?: True
8/22/2014 6:52:01 AM Tried (google-public-dns-b.google.com, ip: 8.8.4.4); Successful?: True
8/22/2014 6:52:31 AM Tried (woodenflute.com, ip: 108.50.36.27); Successful?: True
8/22/2014 6:52:31 AM Tried (google-public-dns-a.google.com, ip: 8.8.8.8); Successful?: True
8/22/2014 6:52:31 AM Tried (google-public-dns-b.google.com, ip: 8.8.4.4); Successful?: True

In the above case, the first three entries tell me the connection (that is it up, not the speed) is OK, because the attempted checks to Google was AOK, so the issue is with the other site.

My point is, if you're having issues, use any tools at your disposal like speedtest.net, etc to backup your position, and don't back down.  If you're paying for a service, then you are entitled, no it is your RIGHT to get what you're paying for.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:24 AM

I have had some recent issues with my ISP, at least i believe it is on their end. Do you have a link to the program you mentioned to test the connection stability? Speedtests always show a good connection speed, but I get randomly disconnected from applications requiring a constant connection, but have no issues with apps that can function using a sporadic connection.

TIA.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

However when you contact your ISP they will tell you that you are paying for speeds up to... and will use statements such as this one to avoid complaints.  While I agree if you are continually not receiving the speeds you are paying for do contact your ISP to have your issues examined.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

In all cases, the Tech support person moved my line speed down, and thus it was the fault of the tech support person messing up, not of unforeseen issues.  Other times, they messed up wiring of the equipment, etc, it was their fault.  In all cases, when I had issues, it was due to the Techs in this area messing up.  Legally, they can't use statements like you showed as an excuse for their (bleep) ups.

When it is human error, they are 100% responsible.  If people allow their ISPs (or anyone) to steamroll over them, that is their own fault.  On the other hand if it is for example, fried a piece of equipment due to a lightening strike, OK that is "mother nature".

In each and every case, it was the ISP messing up, and I pushed it to the CEO's office (if needed), where the "stuff" rolled down hill.  Don't let people steamroll you, and use phrases like shown as excuses.  Tech support mess ups aren't external factors, it is the fault of the company.  External factors would be for instance, damaged equipment in say MN, that your connection goes through, that the ISP has no control over, not your ISPs tech mess ups.  When it comes to what getting what I paid for, I don't back down.

Standup for what you pay for and get it; whether it is Internet service, phone service, or whatever.

Have a great day!

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

I have had some recent issues with my ISP, at least i believe it is on their end. Do you have a link to the program you mentioned to test the connection stability? Speedtests always show a good connection speed, but I get randomly disconnected from applications requiring a constant connection, but have no issues with apps that can function using a sporadic connection.

TIA.

I see that I didn't specify something.  The program is something I wrote.  

I'm currently updating the program (minor changes), and the help file.  Give me a few of days, and I'll send you the link privately, since the TOS would not allow me to "advertise", even though it is freeware.  It is a simple, but effective program.  I was written because of my ISP, and it has shut them down (shutting the techs up) quite a few times.

If you don't have the link by 1600 Hours (4:00pm) ET (USA) on Monday, 2014_08_25, please send me a PM reminding me.

The program creates log files (text files), which must be MANUALLY deleted; thus there will be a permanent history of the checks, until you delete the files.  There is a new log for each day.  In this way, if desired, a person can simply attach the log(s) to an e-mail (for example) and send it to their ISP.

It should be noted, the program WILL NOT RUN ON WINDOWS XP OR EARLIER.

Have a great day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users