Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Registry/System Cleaners] CCleaner & Kaspersky Additional Tools

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

Hi all, after reading the following entry on Bleeping Computer ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/373006/registry-cleaners/?p=2091100) I noticed that reference was made to "some" when describing registry cleaners/ optimizers so I am looking for some clarification and advice on whether the following two products are sound and reliable, and also whether I am using them correctly.

CCleaner : (Windows & Applications Clean, Registry Clean)

My approach to using the 'cleaner" for Windows & Applications has been to simply select everything other than "wipe free space" and then delete any entries that have been produced by the scan.

The same can be said for the "registry" scan where I simply delete anything that the registry scan produces.

I understand that placing "blind faith" in a free software product that has the ability to remove registry entries is not without risk, however, I cannot remember an instance where using this tool on a daily basis over a number of years has caused issues, impacted on performance or damaged my pc (at least not that I have noticed).

Kaspersky Additonal Tools :  (Unused Data Cleaner/ Erase Activities History/ Post Infection Windows Troubleshooting/ Browser Setttings Scan) 

I have been using Kaspersky as my resident anti virus for a number of years and regularly (daily) run the scans available in Kaspersky's "Additonal Tools"

Again, as above with CCleaner, I have not noitced any detrimental effects to the performance of my pc by using this tool.

The only instances that a "Post Infection Windows Troubleshooting"  has listed entries that need to be corrected is immediately after a fresh install of the OS (functions like CD Autorun have not been disabled at that point).

Thanks for any clarification and advice that can be provided on this topic.

Edited by Agent_Orange, 22 August 2014 - 05:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:13 PM

Regedit...is the only sound way of editing the Windows registry.  Using regedit results in manual scans with specific intent and knowledge, as opposed to the unknown apporach used by ANY "registry cleaner/optimizer".

It's really that simple :).

Any user who wants to edit the Windows registry...and has no clue how to proceed within the Windows registry to accomplish such...probably should not think about making registry edits of any sort.

The registry of any system...is constantly changing, based on what is installed on the hard drive.  What would make you think that a program/script written by an unknown stranger...could accurately modify your registry to enhance it?

About the only thing that a "registry cleaner" can do...would be to restore the Windows registry to its default ("I just installed Windows") state...or remove entries which are viewed by the program/script as not being applicable (to what).  Neither is the correct action.  And Windows can reset default registry values, so there is nothing gained by installing a program to do this.

Ask any knowledgeable user who is capable of making registry edits via regedit...if he or she will suggest that you use a "registry cleaner/optimizer" program on your system...that will give you some idea of whether such programs are worth the time of installation.

The fact that none of these "programs" ever provides any specific results to be expected, etc...and that anti-results can readily be seen from installing/using such (system slowness, unknown problems appear, etc.)...well, scams have existed among human beings for a very long time and still flourish today, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Amen.

Note that Microsoft does not endorse any registry cleaner on the market, and does not endorse their use on any Microsoft operating system. In fact, Microsoft recommends that you NOT use registry cleaners.

As hamluis said, regedit is the only accepted and acceptable way to make changes to the registry. And when using regedit, Microsoft recommends you create a backup copy of the registry before making any changes. So allowing a third-party tool to make changes to the registry willy-nilly is a great way to make the system unbootable. As they say about the stock market, past performance is not an indicator of future earnings -- just because it hasn't caused any problems to date doesn't mean it won't.

For further reading on the topic of registry cleaners: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-performance/is-there-a-microsoft-licensed-registry-cleaner-i/b03cd0ad-a92c-41b2-9bf0-b7be06c43047

#4 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

Thank you Louis & sflatechguy for your responses to my query.

I now undertsand that the "registry scan/clean" aspect of tools such as "CCLeaner" are not to be used - they don't need to be and are more likely to cause harm than do any good.

I will only use these tools to clean clutter (temporary internet files etc) and not make use of the "registry scan/clean" feature.

Thanks again to you both for your help with my question.

Warm regards

Agent_Orange

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Here's a CCleaner tip that I have been doing for several years. You can set it up to automatically clean junk files and tracking cookies each time you boot up. You just go into Options and set it up from there. CCleaner is the only product that does this automatically.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

there are occasions where one may need to edit the registry precisely to accomplish something, but there are no occasions where a general cleanup of it is a good idea. a bulky registry with unused parts in it has almost no effect on the computer's speed, getting rid of temp files (CCleaner does this well) and uninstalling unused programs is a much more effective method to improve performance. cleaning your registry is a bit like running across a motorway without looking, you might come out unscathed but since it doesn't accomplish much for you, you might as well have not done it in the first place. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

Thanks rp88!

I like this "cleaning your registry is a bit like running across a motorway without looking, you might come out unscathed but since it doesn't accomplish much for you, you might as well have not done it in the first place."

I have switched over to Ubuntu 14.04 but still run a Windows 7 machine. I have taken on board the advice and suggestions that have been made here (including yours) so that when I run these cleaning tools I do not make use of any "registry scan/clean" options.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query - very helpful of you.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Agent_Orange - From the above, I wonder whether the Ubuntu expedition is sourced (like the headwaters of the Nile) through a WUBI-style install with a dual-boot option, or through partitioning your hard drive into eg 2, one for Win 7 one for Ubuntu? Or even a flash drive or DVD working live? Consider updating your profile, in either "About Me" or "Operating system", and it will make things clearer.

I tried the WUBI approach initially, with 18GB of a 2TB HDD that was partitioned into two (2) 1TB C & D drives, one for the OS, the other for Recovery and (if you chose) Data/Backup.

The WUBI approach got a bit clunky after a time, and as its developer said, it was never designed to be a full-blown permanent option, just a "dipping your toes int he water"-style approach. Hence my going to full commitment. Some of this may appear off-topic, so by all means take up this thread elsewhere.

Agree though 100% with what is said above both by you and others re Regedit/Cleaners &c. Now I just have to work out what to do with 9,000+ "Yiggles" I have earned with Ashampoo over the years. May have to set up Linux flavour of Oracle VMBox under Trusty Tahr and run Win 7, Vista or XP I have, just for the heck of it.

Cheers

Wizard

#9 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Agent_Orange

Agree with other posts here.  I have 2 Win7x64 PC's with their original OS installs (2010, 2011) working well and have never used a Registry Cleaner program. 

I researched the topic as best as I could and read what rp88 mentioned about Registry cleaner tools and their relation to PC performance.  The information I've read about it is the same; minimal, if any PC performance improvement when using cleanup tools.

#10 Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

Hi Wizard,

In anwser to your question - I simply downloaded Ubuntu 10.04, burnt it to disk and loaded the OS from that - no WUBI, no dual boot (no interest in or need for dual boot systems, RAID configurations or anthing exotic like that) .

I have updated my profile to now show that I am using Ubuntu (and no longer Windows 7) but not sure what other information needs to be added?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users