Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with Random BSOD in Vista SP1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jakemaster1390

jakemaster1390

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:02 AM

Hi. First time posting. I usually can fix all my computer problems myself and for others but right now I have a BSOD stumping me on what to do and no other source that I usually consult is giving me a clue as to how to fix it. I know that my Laptop is well over seven years old and it has been serving me well until now.

My problem is that at random periods it will suddenly bluescreen and it has happened a few times just after startup but most of the time when I have been using the computer a few hours on the internet or when I am accessing a program without my browser open. there seems to be no rhyme or reason when it happens. I have currently used system restore three times on this system but unfortunately my earliest restore point is only about a week after these blue screens started occurring. I also have used Malwarebytes  to check for potential possibilites that may also be the cause.

Computer specs: As is from factory

Acer Aspire 5517

Processor: AMD Athelon TF-20 1.60 GHz

Ram: 3.00 GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon 3200

Sound: Realtek High Definition Audio

Code Recieved for all 6 instances I have records for.

IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE 0x0000004a (all 6 blue screen records)

Paramater 1: 0x82284e13- Most recent

0x8227ee13

0x82247e13

0x82285e13

0x82286e13

0x82244e13- Earliest

Parameter 2: 0x0000001 (all 6 blue Scren Records)

According to BlueScreenView this is the driver and specific area that crashed in all recorded instances.

Driver: ntkrnlpa.exe

Crash Address: ntkrnlpa.exe+57d7d

Any help would be greatly appreciated in pinning down this error and correcting it so I can use this computer until they release windows 9. I absolutely hate windows 8 and only thing holding me back from buying a new laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

I would try RAM first. Swap the sticks around, or if there is only one stick, move it to the other slot (if there is one). See if the fault #s change.

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

I would also consider installing Service pack 2.

Regards

:smash:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 jakemaster1390

jakemaster1390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Actually after just thinking about it  I think I have noticed a pattern to the majority of the BSOD. I have noticed that it has failed while using a program Graphically intensive such as using adobe flashplayer or the screen is refreshing while trying to bring up windows sidebar or if I have just closed my firefox. I also have noticed that everytime I use any program that uses good graphics such as bejeweled or adobe flashplayer the image System CPU usage jumps right through the roof. I have recently disabled the sidebar as it has been slow to come up, my computer has been complaining that the ATI Graphics driver runtime is keeping the computer from awaking properly. Also I have now found a reliable way to crash this computer which is to start loading the game alchemy by popcap.

I will try the idea with the ram but I need another day for a service pack upgrade as to everytime I have ever done one there has been some sort of issue where it  hangs or will not start due to programming conflicts. I also need to update my backups of this laptop and do some other checking before I implement this option.

I just Ran the SFC /scannow uitlity and it has come back saying there are corrupted files but I am having difficulty getting a report out of the utility so I can see what was damaged because it reports it was unable to fix

I also decided to crash the computer and start it up in safe mode. I went to the program that I know that automatically crashes it. I have tried all safe modes and the problems are not cropping when I run the program in the safe modes. That is pointing to me that it is a problem outside of the core vista drivers.

Edited by jakemaster1390, 22 August 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#5 jakemaster1390

jakemaster1390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

Problem update.

I decided trying a bit of trial and error to point me in the right direction. I rebooted into all safe modes and tried running alchemy which was the only reliable trigger to crash the computer. I found that in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt that nothing was causing it to crash or to cause my CPU Usage to skyrocket other than the program I was currently using after which it promptly returned to system Idle after spike. Then I thought I would like sound in the networking safe mode but I found out that the driver for it was not loaded leading me to believe that it was something related to the sound driver that was causing the crashes. So i went ahead and disabled the driver and now the computer is no longer crashing and the computer is running at a better performance with other things such as flashplayer and even the startup is no longer hanging.

Edited by jakemaster1390, 23 August 2014 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users