Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikesmith13

mikesmith13

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hi all. This is my first time posting on this site, so forgive me if this isn't the correct location.

On with the issue.

I have an OEM Samsung hard drive (made by seagate,) which I think is failing on me. The computer has been sluggish lately. It will be fast for a few minutes, then it will come to a halt and just sit there. Then it picks back up again, and might be a little slow.  I removed the hard drive and connected it to my Rosewill 2 hard drive dock and opened up Seatools for Windows on my other PC. Running the Short DST reports that the drive is fine. I also launched HDTune, which again reports it is okay. I put the drive back in the computer and used Ultimate Boot Disk to load Seatools for DOS. Seatools for DOS is reporting that the drive has bad sectors. Which one do I believe? I tend to think that Seatools for DOS is better since it is checking at a DOS level. Would I be correct in thinking that? If I have to buy a new hard drive, then I will. I don't need anything that is on it. 

Attached File  10359905_797264206983361_8170032141506718420_n.jpg   87.15KB   0 downloads

Thanks.

ASRock G31M, 3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 6400, 320GB Samsung/Seagate hard drive. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:41 AM

Make a clone of the suspect HDD ASAP.

Put the cloned HDD in the PC and see if performance improves.

If performance is back to normal, then the suspect HDD is probably bad.

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

I have found that the DOS version of these diagnostic programs are more accurate than the windows versions are.

Try this version of Seatools for DOS to see if you get the same results. Not sure if it's the same version that's on the UBCD, and have the drive connected to the motherboard for better accuracy

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Edited by Joe C, 22 August 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#4 mikesmith13

mikesmith13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

This particlar drive has a seagate model number (I think. I'll have to check) and seagates diagnostic software recognizes it as seagate. I don't care about whats on it. Basically it's just a windows 7 pro install and a few free programs. I did clone it anyway and the machine seems to be normal again. I guess the drive is going bad.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

you can get speccy in the download section here, load it up and look for the hard drive information...

look for S.M.A.R.T. status, if it is warning, the drive has numbered days left, could be a month, could be a year or so.

then one day BIOS won't let the user get to the OS because of this problem drive  thus the seatools for DOS is a boot-time  version that can run diagnostics before the problem drive initializes in BIOS and flunks the boot..

this happened to me on a seagate drive once. I had to unplug the thing from the motherboard to get past BIOS, good thing it was backed up and just a storage drive and not a boot drive.....live and learn.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

this happened to me on a seagate drive once. I had to unplug the thing from the motherboard to get past BIOS, good thing it was backed up and just a storage drive and not a boot drive.....live and learn.

Sometimes you can turn off the SMART feature from within the bios and get access to the drive

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Some BIOS editions will, some won't

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

yup...that's why I stated "sometimes" it depends on the OEM's bios

#9 mikesmith13

mikesmith13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

I have backed up what was needed, and purchased a new hard drive. Now just to wait for it to arrive. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users