Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron N5050 Power ribbon ?latch?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rockstartednugget

rockstartednugget

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

I was replacing the hard drive in my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron N5050. I took the power button ribbon off and pulled on the black latch to hard and it broke. I basically need to know what the part is called and/or where to get another one. I have included an image of what I am referring to.Attached File  10589797_1441600409462317_1029080777_n.jpg   102.9KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:56 AM

Here is a link to a teardown/disassembly for your lappy,   https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Dell_Inspiron_n5050 .  Near the bottom of the page is a link to the service manual.

It appears you will need to remove any part of the connector that may still be stuck to the board. Then you will need to order the wiring harness. Which harness, I don't know, you'll find out when you get in there. The harness should have a part number on it somewhere. You'll probably have to deal with Dell (Good Luck!) to get the part,,, unless you can find it aftermarket.

It looks as though this will require a complete teardown of the lappy, which will be quite an experience if you've never done it. Pay attention to the service manuals cautions and directions.

Hope this helps.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

If the ribbon is still intact, you can push the ribbon back into the slot and hold it with a piece of plastic or a business card as noted in one of the replies to act as a shim. I would avoid using hotglue as shown in the link but that is your decision.

http://blog.crosbydrive.com/?p=365

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Those connectors really take a beating, but Dell uses the cheapest because it's not meant to be disassembled after assembly.  Delicate parts abound, especially those type of ribbon connectors.  Replacing the connector is time consuming and should only be attempted by skilled techs.  The board can be destroted by heavy handed, over temp irons and whole board replacement becomes the only cure.

#5 rockstartednugget

rockstartednugget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

I have been very delicate with it as of now. This is actually the first laptop I took part so out of inexperience I was to rough as I thought the piece was coming off. Well it came off alright, LOL. I since then tore one side of the ribbon after trying numerous times to get the broke connector to hold it in place. I got it one time and then wanted to swap a part out and had to take it all apart again. That is when after about 10 tries the ribbon broke on one side due to excessive handling maybe. I ordered a ribbon and I have half of the connector that still has one side intact that rides in the guide that holds it in place. I have more then enough knowledge to do the job, now. I have always worked on desktops as a hobby. However, like I said this was my first laptop project. I can't find anything on the web to buy an actual replacement. I found one motherboard that has water damage and is cheap. It would be ideal for what I am doing. However, I would rather buy the connecter for a few bucks if possible. I thank you guys for your help.

#6 rockstartednugget

rockstartednugget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

I am more looking to buy the actual black piece that pushes down. Not replace the entire assembly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users