Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

widevinecdmadapter.dll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marshallmoon

marshallmoon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

What am I to think with Google placing this unwanted cdm file on my computer without prior notification or approval?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Which browser were you using when this happened?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 marshallmoon

marshallmoon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:22 PM

First Win 8 and Chrome but the same was created in Vista and Chrome. I wonder if I can delete the file or at least rename it to modify its use. Thanks.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

From what I've been able to determine through research, the file in question is downloaded only by the Chrome browser while viewing YouTube videos. Just why that is, I don't know. Nor have I been able to determine for sure what its purpose is. If you don't want that file downloaded, at this point I'd suggest using a different browser. I have asked for assistance from others who use Chrome and Windows 8 or are familiar with these. Myself, I use neither.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

Orange Blossom is 99% on it -

Overview : Adapted from Google Chrome Help Forum ..........

By Google Inc (Signed)
MD5:           684b2d48ea874e5c36b453d6a3160c83
SHA1:   d14171fedb2db2bf6009a5d90496752298c66bac

widevinecdmadapter.dll is loaded as dynamic link library that runs in the context of the Google Chrome web browser.

It is installed with a couple of know programs including Google Chrome Frame published by Google Inc, Google Chrome Frame from Google Inc and Google Chrome Frame by Google Inc.

The file is digitally signed by Google Inc which was issued by the VeriSign certificate authority (CA). This particular version is usually found on Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1.7601.65536).

Only problem is that Norton will kick back when it installs (false positive).

Solution:  I'm going back to IE.  As for Chrome, I'm not going to be green and recycle....it's going to the dump to get burned up!

P.S. I never have knowingly used Chrome, and I never intend to ........... (even to experiment)

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

And the thing about Google Chrome, especially if one dual boots, runs virtual machines, or has more than one computer, if the user is signed into the browser (with their GMail credentials), the profile will be spread across every computer one has & logged in. Even those that are borrowed & an account setup for guests (not the standard guest account), unless the Administrator has defined strict permissions, this will install on these too. On my Windows installs, I have Emsisoft Online Armor Firewall software, so it must have been treated as safe. I'll need to check when I get back into Windows. 

Bookmarks, add-ons, everything syncs, the exception being Linux OS's where some things won't sync exactly. 

Similar to IE for Windows 8 or 8.1 when signed into a Microsoft Account, so it's a matter of which you trust more. Personally, I fully trust neither & rely on security & safe computing practices to protect myself. 

I didn't really want to make the switch to Chrome, having been a 5+ year Firefox user after IE8 crippled my XP SP3 install (after MS sent me an invite to "improve" my Windows experience). However in the last year to 18 months, every Firefox release was getting slower, and I don't have patience for a slow browser, so I made the change on a "trial basis". 

That trial basis quickly became permanent, as Chrome is the fastest browser that I've ever used. Is it perfect? No. But neither are the others. At the current time, Chrome offers me the best balance between speed & security & until the day comes when that changes, will stick with the browser. However, I feel that of the three, when it comes to trust, Firefox is likely more trustworthy, as they're a non-profit corporation. Note that I stated "likely" & not certainly. Because I simply don't know. 

Fortunately, I use Linux Mint 17 90+% of the time I'm online, so don't fear infections. However I do have a similar file, w/out the .dll, it ends with .so. And was added on 08/08, so that was recent. Must be something new, as I was watching YouTube videos way before then. 

However, no matter the browser to access the content we want, chances are, there's always going to be some object needed to do the job, or to provide a better experience. Or maybe even collect data on the content we view, so that it can be delivered faster, offer the type that matches what we view, or most anything we agreed to when accepting Google's services. There's no 100% free ride here, even if it's not a monetary one. 

We can only make a choice for a browser & hope for the best. Since on Windows 8 & 8.1 OS's, IE is running anyway, it may be the best option for some. I say this because even though I don't use the browser on the OS, CCleaner still manages to find quite a number of IE files to delete. Have done most everything except disable the browser through the "Turn Windows features on or off" panel (not recommended is the result when checked). There is now an Adblock Plus option for IE to greatly reduce ads & like other browsers has some controls. 

All you can do is try different browsers & determine which is best for your needs & see which is the least intrusive. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Rupert Cucumber

Rupert Cucumber

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Oh baby mine! It does appear that noknojono has flipped the rails (seemingly in a rage) and is going to junk Chrome. Don't forget to empty the ol' Recycle Bin there noknojono! It might come back at ya and bite ya right on the face!!!  :-) 

(Please - all responses have to be typed very slowly in order for to be understood) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users