Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop does not power up immediately

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CDTOE

CDTOE

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

I've been having a frustrating problem with my Laptop, but I didn't bother to fix it until it has gotten worse recently. When I press the power button to turn on the computer if it's shut down or put on sleep, it doesn't power up immediately. Sometimes it works as soon as I touch the power button, but in other times, I keep pushing the power button down for a few minutes until it powers up. 

I don't know if it's a problem with the power button itself or with something else. Could it be something related to the power supply? I have this long dead battery that can't keep the computer working for more than 5-10 minutes if the power cord isn't connected. However, I tried to disconnect the battery to see if the laptop would power up immediately if it's receiving power from the power supply directly, but nothing changed and the problem is still persistent. What do you suggest to fix the problem? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Try running these repairs but make sure you have a complete data backup externally for any important documents.

Windows Error Checking Utility => Checkmark both boxes.

Windows Startup Repair.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 CDTOE

CDTOE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eRknrWQm8Z88mYAabYC3q0E

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Ok, did you happen to have run the 2 Windows scans as suggested already? See if any improvements after performing the steps. Forgot to add as to what Laptop model you are using, please post it next time. There is a possibility that the power button needs to be fix as a qualified technician may help you with this problem.

Tekken

#5 CDTOE

CDTOE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I couldn't run Windows Startup Repair because I don't have the setup CD of my laptop right now, but I ran the first scan successfully. As for the laptop model, it's a Samsung notebook NP-R440L. It rather seems that the problem is, for sure, related to the power button itself. I have to apply a hard pressure on the button so that the laptop powers up. It's the same thing if I want to send it into an idle state or a complete shut down while it's running, that's, I still have to apply a hard pressure. What was boggling me is that up to a few weeks ago, the laptop was able to power up with just a simple touch on the power button in a few occasions, while most of the time I still had to apply some pressure. 

Please, if you can provide me with any further aid, I would be grateful. Thanks. 

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:15 PM

There is a possibility that the power button needs to be fix as a qualified technician may help you with this problem.

If your notebook comes with a recovery partition, you may also be able to create a separate repair disc and sets of recovery disc for one time.

I couldn't run Windows Startup Repair because I don't have the setup CD of my laptop right now, but I ran the first scan successfully.

Also, startup repair is available in Advanced Boot Options in windows by pressing F8 on early splash screen.

Tekken

#7 CDTOE

CDTOE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

I've finally solved the problem. I disassembled the laptop and cleaned the bottom of the power button. It was dirty enough to make no contact with the on-circuit power button. 

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

Great. :) Good job CDTOE! :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users