Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newfie Disguises Himself As A Newbie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 slieveen

slieveen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

I am a former Newfoundlander, now living in Western Canada with the missus, two girls going to university , and a dog who's a bi!*# too. A "slieveen" is a Newfoundland expression for an untrustworthy character, a 'carpetbagger' so to speak who wouldn't think twice about seperating you from your savings.

My personal computing experience dates back to 1994 and the Compuserve days, while my first PC was an NEC P60 that costs a cool $5000 (CDN) with its 540 meg HD, 4 MB Ram, and 3X CD-Rom. I had to buy and install my first Creative sound card (~$300), extra 4MB of Ram (~$300), and ultimately install an extra 540 MB WD hard drive for another $500. The matching 15" NEC monitor and fancy non-glare screen set me back another $1000 and ~$400 for the fancy Intel external 14,400 dialup fax modem. When I later upgraded to a 4 meg video card, those awesome 2D graphics were nearly worth the fortune it cost me at the time.

That was the last ready made PC I ever purchased as I built about three dozen over the next twelve years.

Last month I purchased a 2.66GHz WinXP PC with 512 MB Ram, 160 GB HD, 48X CD-RW/DVD, with built in video/sound/nic, and seperate speakers, mouse, and KB from Dell all for $299 (CDN).

I doubt if I'll be building anymore boxes when they can be had ready-made for so very little these days.

Edited by slieveen, 04 June 2006 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

Welcome to BC slieveen! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:01 PM

Welcome to BC slieveen! :thumbsup:
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:24 PM

Hello, slieveen.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:01 PM

Hi and :thumbsup: to BC slieveen.
Regards,

Darthy