Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Equivalent Highlighting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

This is not a tip, it is asking for one.

Could somebody explain how a length of text can be indicated by one or two words ? It is a commonly used practice, but I simply do not know how to do it.

Example :-

"See here" when clicked becomes http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?and so on.

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

It sounds like your asking how to insert a hyperlink.  That's simple:

1.  Type the word or words you want.

2.  Highlight the words.

3.  Click on the add link button.  Second row, 9th icon.

4.  Type/paste in the link.

5.  Click OK.

Have a great day!

:bananas: :bounce:

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Another way that I use most often using Firefox is to right click, choose bookmark this page and when the 

small window opens I choose to edit the text in the bookmark before choosing done. You can edit the text after

setting the bookmark, too. Just right click on the bookmark and choose properties...then edit the text.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

It sounds like your asking how to insert a hyperlink.  That's simple:

1.  Type the word or words you want.

2.  Highlight the words.

3.  Click on the add link button.  Second row, 9th icon.

4.  Type/paste in the link.

5.  Click OK.

Have a great day!

Shiver me timbers ! ! How easy it is when you know how. All these years and I never tumbled it.

Thank you so much Scotty.

:bowdown:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:

#5 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

Welcome!

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thank you for that scotty_ncc1701, because I don't know how to do it with the editor. I have hated that thing from day one. I only know how to do it with bbcode which I have been using for years.

which would be as follows for those of you who may want to do it 'manually'. Using Beaker77's example.

"See here" when clicked becomes http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?and so on.

Typed out is:

[url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?and]"See here"[/url] when clicked becomes http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?and so on.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

It occurred to me that having  set a highlighted keyword to read a link, then every other instance of that keyword in the text would also be highlighted. It does not do  so - see below -

keyword, keyword, keyword.

All OK.

#8 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Each link must be set individually.  However, you can highlight a previous link, copy it to your clipboard and paste it into the location you want.  The only way to make the link automatic is to just put the link in plain text in the post like this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/545186/equivalent-highlighting/#

I know of no editor what will automatically assign a link to a keyword based on a previous link.  Remember in normal writing, you'd define an abbreviation (for example) when used the first time, then after that, you only use the abbreviation.  It's the same here, if it's referencing the same thing, you only need to link to it once.

Have a great day!

#9 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

The only thing not mentioned so far is that you have to select "Link to anchor in the text" from the drop-down panel after you have entered the URL.

Linkpanel_zpseffcf45f.jpg

Edited by Beaker77, 22 August 2014 - 06:29 AM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Hi Beaker et al -

I am a bit like Animal (older bbcode was always used) with many programs and links, but now I store them in an editor that will not *set them off*. Prior to that I even stored them in PMs to keep them "quiet"

[url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/dl/65/]MiniToolBox[/url]

Link just reads MiniToolBox (<< dead example) MiniToolBox (<<  live example) and directs to B.C. downloads. Plus I was always an I.E. user. M.$oft gave it for a reason.

This is just a partial "drag" from the "box" where it resides.

The link above MiniToolBox can just be Copy/Pasted MiniToolBox as often as you like in a phrase, MiniToolBox but I leave the Editor open, and compose first, MiniToolBox then post and hit Preview Post or More Options several times MiniToolBox if I need to adjust the post. Each MiniToolBox is just a Copy / Paste of the original.

My Editor has 720 basic pockets but can be more than doubled up on with smaller http:// links for downloads.

I found in my Malware Training that they will not hold a big HJThis log, so you break it in 2 pockets -

I know of no editor what will automatically assign a link to a keyword based on a previous link.

Agree 100% as I find each one (as per my example) is a single, copy / paste ......................I look forward to other ideas -

Thanks All -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users