Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop being a fail

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyfisherman

jimmyfisherman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

I have a mysterious browser.exe running in the background (found this out using task manager) and I opened its file location. It's located in the folder c:\users\jimmy\appdata\local\browser_dir It's causing so much lag because it uses 67% CPU meanwhile my two physics simulators only use 3% combined. It's making my computer so slow I can't even access the internet. I can, however access a few of my programs after waiting 5 minutes to load. I am posting this from my IPhone so I can't download anything. Is there any way to get rid of this browser.exe without a download of any kind (internet explorer just opens, shows nothing, and then closes with no error message). Also I have tried ending the process but it just opens up again. Also I can't delete the file because it says "Open in Google Chrome" and the browser.exe has a google chrome icon with properties saying "publisher: Google Inc.". Is this a malicious program made by Google? Or a virus disguised as google chrome? Also I don't have another computer to download files. How do I remove it with no download?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

Is there no one you can ask to download programs for you?

If this is a recent problem...a week or so....you could try a System Restore using a restore point just prior to the problem.

Tell us what Windows OS you are using....XP..7..8..? if you need instruction on how to use System Restore.

Try resetting Chrome.

Google Chrome gives you the option to reset your browser settings in one easy click. In some cases, programs that you install can change your Chrome settings without your knowledge. You may see additional extensions and toolbars or a different search engine. Resetting your browser settings will reset the unwanted changes caused by installing other programs. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be cleared or changed.

Reset your browser settings:

1. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings” section.
  4. Click Reset browser settings.
  5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. Note: When the "Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings" checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows us to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Sometimes booting into Safe Mode with Networking will keep whatever process that is causing the problem from running. 

Try that and let me know if that is the case.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 jimmyfisherman

jimmyfisherman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

I have windows 7 and it won't let me access USB drives (windows explorer doesn't open) I also never had google chrome installed on that computer... That's why I know it's some kind of malicious program. The only other browser I ever used besides Internet Explorer was Firefox, and I have already done two factory resets since.

#5 jimmyfisherman

jimmyfisherman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

And I just want to be able to use my physics simulators (which I had to keep downloading due to the numerous system restores I have done) without lagging like hell. The physics simulators can barely run because the malicious browser.exe takes 67% CPU. I have ran both teh simulators at the same time. When they both lag it's the actual simulator program lagging, not the CPU. The simulators use the graphics, not much CPU (only 5% at the most with both running)

#6 jimmyfisherman

jimmyfisherman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

The browser.exe takes so much CPU that the simulator lags, even though the most cpu I hav ever seen it use is like 3%. Also regsvr is taking a lot of CPU recently (just noticed it now)

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Symantec uses that file....browser.exe...any chance you have Symantec installed on your comp?

Have you tried booting into safe mode with networking? If so, are you able to go online?

Do you have a good backup image stored anywhere of your hdd?

Have you thought about doing a clean reinstall of Windows?

Does your hdd still have the recovery partition with Win 7 original factory software or did you create a DVD when new or both?

#8 jimmyfisherman

jimmyfisherman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:13 PM

The description for the browser.exe file was "Google Chrome" and it has a google chrome icon. It's also in a folder containing google chrome stuff (like icons, dll's, that kind of stuff). I went into safe mode and deleted the whole folder, along with everything inside it. I restarted and it ran fine, no lag... For 10 seconds. I realized that the folder got re-created again. And it lags so bad I can't access system recovery, although I can go on system restore but that won't do anything because this folder is in c:\users.....
And I never create backups... Fail

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:49 PM

Did you attempt to open the Firefox browser while in safe mode with networking? If so, were you able to view online sites?

Have you looked in the Add/ Remove list of installed programs for anything relating to Google? You may have a partial install

or corrupt install of Google Chrome. There are free programs that GC is offered during installs and you would need to uncheck...usually....

Stay in Safe Mode with Networking this time and do some more exploring. Do a search for Google. Attempt to go online with Firefox.

If you are able to go online then attempt a scan using Eset online scanner.

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scanner from ESET

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

You can use any windows 7 computer to create a Repair Disc.

With a System Repair Disc, you'll have access to Windows 7 diagnostic tools like Startup Repair, System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

Using the disc you will be able to do an Image recovery using the image on the Recovery partition. That is if the CD-ROM is

usable to run the disc....

How To Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc [Easy]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users