Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image Restore Point question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ComputerHelp69

ComputerHelp69

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hey guys.

I have a System Image Restore Point in System Restore of the type "Backup" that has been on my system since January 2013. Other restore points come and go but this one is still there.

Is this a snapshot of my system from before the system image (like most restore points) or is that the system image itself? I'm thinking it must be the system image itself otherwise it should have gone away like other restore points.

I'm going to be creating a new system image soon.

Thanks for your time.

Windows 7 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

System restore point backs up system settings and registry. Usually it is initiated and triggered by the system when programs are installed, Microsoft updates, anti virus software etc. Running System backup creates an image of the files you want to backup for a full recovery. You can backup your entire drive if you wanted to. However, don't get your new backup and the the laptops factory backup mixed up. Laptops usually tend to have a factory backup of 8 gigabytes in size on a secondary partition and you shouldn't mess with it. They come with a utility to create a set of boot discs from this image. The utility is located under a file named the same name as the laptop. If you have a DELL then there would be a DELL file under the Start button and in there is the utility.

Usually the image takes 2 cd's. Be aware this backup does not include all your new files. It is just a backup of the way the laptop was the first day you bought it. If you boot off the disc it will wipe all your data to the way it was when it was new. Everyone should create a cd set of this if you haven't done so already. Do it now! If the hard drive dies you have nothing, No Operating System or anything. If you create a new backup make it seperate from the factory. Your new backup should be stored on a seperate internal/external drive. It can be stored on the same drive but if the drive fails, again you have nothing. You should create a system repair boot disc as well, so you can access the backup you created. This boot disc is not the same as the factory boot disc it's a single disc. You can go to start button and type Create. From there is, "Create a new system repair disc" There is also Create a system restore point. If you want to create a backup type Backup and Restore. There is even a Create a password reset disk. It creates a small file named password.key on a flash drive or whatever. This file you can access the pc without knowing the password and even if the password was changed by someone else. Creating a new password.key file revokes the last one. Sometimes It's good to have in case you become incapacitated or something then a spouse or friend someone you trust can gain access to your pc.

There is many types of backup media solutions people use. Backup to internal/external drive, backup to a NAS RAID 0+1, Backup to Cloud storage, Backup to a Flash Drive. I don't use Microsoft's backup. I like to use True Image which has more features and compresses the images better.

Edited by technonymous, 22 August 2014 - 08:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users