Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which of these two laptops is better?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sean999

sean999

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Please tell me which of these two laptop specs is better. 

Laptop A: Processor 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4510U Processor (2.00GHz 1600MHz 4MB) and Memory 4.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz.

Laptop B: Processor 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4210U Processor (1.70GHz 1600MHz 3MB) and Memory 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz.

All other specs are the same, including both laptops have Hardrive Hybrid 500GB 5400 RPM + 8GB SSHD.

Both of these laptops are Lenovo. My current laptop, which is about to die, is also a Lenovo, and it has served me well so I don't have a problem getting another Lenovo. However, to be honest, I don't know that much about laptops, so if anyone would like to recommend another brand and model, I'm happy to listen. But, budget matters: these two laptops are each around $600, and I don't want to pay anymore than that. I do not use my laptop for gaming or video editing. For my needs, the above specs are probably sufficient.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'd go with Laptop B.  The extra 4GB in RAM will more than make up for the CPU speed difference.

#3 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I'd go with Laptop B.  The extra 4GB in RAM will more than make up for the CPU speed difference.

This is the majority consensus.

I mentioned that I don't use the laptop for things like gaming or video editing. Perhaps I should have been more specific and mentioned that a) I primarily use my laptop for things like skype, web surfing, movie/tv streaming, word processing, and B) I often have four of these types of programs open simultaneously. The majority consensus seems to be that the extra RAM (8gb v 4gb) of Laptop B will more than make up for the lower processing speed (i5 vs i7), and that the extra RAM may in fact be of even more importance than processor speed given that multiple programs will be open simultaneously. Remember, regarding processor speed, we are talking i7 or i5. Thus, given similar price and other specs, Laptop B for me seems to be the better one.

Edited by sean999, 21 August 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

I've run the same laptop with both 4GB and 8GB.  At 4GB it was functional, at 8GB it was usable.  Laptop was used for office documents, web pages, and e-mail.

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can make for a machine.  I recommend 8GB if at all possible for Windows 7 or 8.  Right now I have Firefox with three tabs, PowerDVD, Notepad, iTunes, and World of Warcraft running on my machine and I'm using 5.5 GB.  Games are more video intensive, not RAM intensive.

#5 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

I've run the same laptop with both 4GB and 8GB.  At 4GB it was functional, at 8GB it was usable.  Laptop was used for office documents, web pages, and e-mail.

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can make for a machine.  I recommend 8GB if at all possible for Windows 7 or 8.  Right now I have Firefox with three tabs, PowerDVD, Notepad, iTunes, and World of Warcraft running on my machine and I'm using 5.5 GB.  Games are more video intensive, not RAM intensive.

Thanks, this is a really useful answer. What processor do you have? But regardless of your processor, you've given a big thumbs up for Laptop B.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

I should have been more specific and mentioned that a) I primarily use my laptop for things like skype, web surfing, movie/tv streaming, word processing, and

Laptop B: Processor 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4210U Processor (1.70GHz 1600MHz 3MB) and Memory 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz.

Looking at what you use a pc for you would be a perfect candidate for Linux and with the i5 and 8GB ram your pc would be a great machine, Fast, Stable, Secure.

If you felt you needed Windows it would easily run in VM, As for MS office it can be installed in Wine.

Edited by NickAu1, 21 August 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

My machine is listed in my profile.  You can click on my avatar to get to my profile.  That said, I'm running an Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo).  I build about every five years and build higher end to last.

#8 sean999

sean999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

My machine is listed in my profile.  You can click on my avatar to get to my profile.  That said, I'm running an Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo).  I build about every five years and build higher end to last.

I purchased Laptop B, letting the higher 8GB of RAM be the deciding factor. Interestingly, of the people who answered my question, about 60% suggested Laptop B and 40% picked Laptop A.  For those who selected Laptop A, their primary argument was that I would never need more than 4GB of RAM for my purposes while I would benefit from Laptop A's higher processor speed irrespective of my computing use. 

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Those people who don't believe how much difference 4GB of RAM can make have never seen the performance increase when you go from 4GB to 8GB.  As I said previously I used a laptop with 4GB of RAM for work.  I only used Internet Explorer and Outlook for e-mail.  I'd have issues with the machine caching to the hard drive when I tried doing anything more, such as opening up Excel, Word, or Power Point.  Weekly virus scans made the machine non-operational.

The reason that more RAM makes a difference is that when the machine needs more memory than it has it stores information from RAM to the hard drive.  If you can prevent this by adding more RAM you will notice the increase in performance.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 30 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

I'll go ahead and add my thanks as I am still learning and this was of help to me.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users