Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Printing Issue With Older HP LJ 5

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi.  I've been running these workhouse legendary printers, the original LaserJet 5s, for more than a decade now.  They're amazing -- reliable as heck, bulletproof, and cheap to maintain.

Lately when I print something off the Internet the printer will only print the first page and all the other pages will come out blank.  I just did one where it gave the reader the PRINT option on the article and it STILL came out this way.  As a result, I have to stop everything I'm doing, cut and paste the entire article into Word, and print from there.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?  Would it be a setting on the computer, the printer, or neither?  Could it somehow be the cable? 

Thanks in advance for reading this post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

This is usually the fault of IE version in use.  The unit is fine with Word so the cable and everything else is good.  I've had this fault too and the Internet Explorer is the problem in printing the entire page.  I have found no cure to date, still missing the print screen function.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

You might try printing to a PDF and then printing the PDF to the printer.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Quick fix Firefox!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

This is usually the fault of IE version in use.  The unit is fine with Word so the cable and everything else is good.  I've had this fault too and the Internet Explorer is the problem in printing the entire page.  I have found no cure to date, still missing the print screen function.

Sorry, I left out some information.  This was NOT with Internet Explorer but with Google Chrome.  I do everything in my power to not use any Microsoft problems if at all possible after their horrible redesign of MS WORD about 10 years ago (and then of course their refusal to admit it was a mistake and go back to the old XP style interface).  Steve Jobs was right: that company has no sense of style or design.

You might try printing to a PDF and then printing the PDF to the printer.

Thanks, I'll try this.

Quick fix Firefox!

I'll give this a go too.  Thanks, good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users