Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weather Website Interactive Maps; Browsers have issues with overlays

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Punkrulz

Punkrulz

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

So it seems pretty strange that as an IT guy, I get the strangest of the strange issues with my own computer. One of the issues that I've realized is that for the most part i have problems seeing any interactive weather information from various weather sites. This includes intellicast.com and wunderground.com. I prefer to use Google Chrome (latest update), but I've tried using IE 11 as well. The only one that seems to work is wunderground on IE and that is hit or miss.

My computer is running Windows 7 x64. We currently have Symantec Endpoint Protection 12 installed, and I also have Java 7u67 and Flash 14 installed.

Has this been a known issue or what else could be causing this? Not super important, but not knowing for a long time has been bothering me. Could it be firewall related, and if so is there a way to know? Typically if our firewall blocks something there is a notification on the page that Watchguard has prevent it's access... this doesn't happen in this case.

Thanks!

Edited by Punkrulz, 21 August 2014 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

I find that problems of this nature are usually "Flash" or "JavaScript" related.  Possibly your AV is blocking some elements of either from certain sites?

With the exception of intellicast, I haven't had problems with any of the weather related sites that I frequent.  Among those, wunderground, weather.com, the weather broadcasts from local affiliate stations(CBS, Fox, etc).

With the interactive map on intellicast, it takes several seconds trying to "initialize the map" and then gives the messages:

Attention Required
Map unable to load
The Map loading has timed out.

Probably because I'm blocking several google elements on the page as well as beacons from other sites.

Don't believe Java is your problem in this case, I don't have it installed and that hasn't caused me any problems.

Almost forgot, I'm not using IE 11 or Google Chrome, but I am running Windows 7 x64 SP1 and (soon to be replaced)McAfee LiveSafe. :smash:

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:04 AM

Weather Underground -<< Try this link ??

I googled wunderground as I know there is a Weather Underground for where I live, hosted by a few locals.

Fill in at least your state or area in your Profile Here and it will show where you are from.

I list Victoria - Australia and that covers quite a few million people, so I am not giving my home away.

My current local @ 9.15 PM
Humidity:     80%
Dew Point:     47°F / 8°C
Wind:     NE at 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h
Wind Gust:     5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h
Pressure:     30.36 in / 1028 hPa (Steady)
Visibility:     6.2 miles / 10.0 kilometers
Clouds:     
Sunrise:    6:58 AM EST
Sunset:    5:51 PM EST
Moon Rise:    4:29 AM EST
Moon Set:    2:57 PM EST
Current
 52.7°F / 11.5°C
Clear
NOAA Weather Radio View Station Directory

Edited by noknojon, 22 August 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

I prefer having a weather widget on my desktop as opposed to going to a website. I use The Weather Network because it's Canadian and I can set it to my area. But most weather websites have desktop widgets to download. I just find having a widget on my desktop that I can access through an icon in my systray is more convenient for me than going to a website.

#5 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

While I also have a weather widget, I typically go to various weather sites to use the interactive map to see if weather is going to be coming my way or not. I have no problems at home but for the most part this is why I check the website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users