Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most likely cause for intermittent wireless issue?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 educationfiend

educationfiend

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hello,

A couple of users of our Wireless network are experiencing problems.  It works fine for the vast majority, but a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 laptop cannot connect properly; it connects then claim it cannot obtain a IP address.  Both these laptops work fine with other Wireless networks.

We are using a NTE51D and Cisco 8000 series Wireless routers.  Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Thanks,

educationfiend

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

Make sure the wifi drivers are the latest and greatest.  Remove the existing wifi profiles being used and create new ones.  See if these steps don't resolve your issue.  If not download xirrus wifi inspector and post a screen shot of what it sees.

#3 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the reply, is there some kind of test I can run and export the results?  I have the software running now.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Post a screen shot of the xirrus screen.  We need to see what channels are in your area and what your Dbm rate is.

#5 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

http://postimg.org/image/uh00pe2k3/

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

You don't need to hide anything in the xirrus screen shot.  It contains no hackable information.

I would suggest enabling N on the router and see if the wifi card gets a better connection using N then G

#7 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

hehe, excuse my paranoia.  Thank you very much for your help, will give it a try.  Is there any chance changing this setting would deny access to other users?

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Enabling N on the router will make no difference to anyone now connecting under G

#9 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:34 AM

Bump.  We are still experiencing these issues, particularly with Mac devices.  Any fresh ideas?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users