Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Damaged Is My System?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kayder4

kayder4

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

Hi everyone,

so I got a rather big problem I guess...

I wanted to install Linux as a second OS on my laptop, which has a preinstalled Win 8 as the native OS. So to do that, I had to shrink the Windows partition ... I could write a long story why I did that. but I'll just say, although the build-in windows partition tool told me that I shouldn't and can't shrink it, I eventually did it with a 3rd party program (50 GB on a 500 GB HDD).
I installed Linux on this new free space and it seems to work fine. But Windows not.
I noticed that the performance is lower and after I discovered that some programs aren't working (errors like 0x0c000007b and missing dll's), I scanned the registry with some free tools ... and got a lot of errors(over 500).
So basically what happened here I Think is, that Windows 8 got damaged.
Now my problem is I DONT know how to FIX. ...
I tried windows recovery several times, I even did a backup before all that, It doesn't work. I can't use the Acer Recovery Manager as well, it refuses to reset the system obviously. I tried to fix the registry with free tools but I stil get errors on some programs (0x0c00007b). I installed All in one Runtimes, didn't help. And because Win 8 was preinstalled I don't have a installation code nor a CD or something where I can try to reset Windows.

So my question is, how damaged is my system and how can I try to minimize the damage / fix it?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 August 2014 - 09:36 PM.
topic title edited

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

Before I begin, let me make one thing clear.  When I get a new PC, within 30 days, I nuke and pave my system, and install Windows from a boxed copy.  This means I format, partition, and install Windows fresh.  That being said, I think you may be in for a world of hurt.

The recovery partition/recovery DVD technology is similar to Norton Ghost, Paragon Backup and Recovery, etc.  Specifically when imaged, they expect the partition being restored to needs to be equal to, or greater than the original partition imaged; this is why you got the warning not to shrink it.

Between the time that I get a new PC, and then do a nuke and pave, with a boxed copy of Windows, I never mess around with the partitioning scheme.  Earlier this year, after I got my boxed copy of Windows 8, just for S&Gs, I did resize on my primary windows partition, forced it to resize, and the recovery failed, when I tried it.  Since I was going to nuke and pave it, it was no big deal.

Best of luck!
:bananas: :bounce:

#3 pwhitehead

pwhitehead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:38 AM

OK!  So what do you need assistance with? 

#4 pwhitehead

pwhitehead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

Sorry!  I see that scotty_ncc1701 provided some valid feedback.  I hope that helped.

#5 kayder4

kayder4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

sry, I accidentlly created the topic before I wrote everything

Edited by kayder4, 21 August 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Installing Linux as a dual boot on a system pre-installed with Windows 8 can be tricky. You have things like UEFI and Secure Boot to deal with as added complications over older systems.  But provided the Windows partition/s weren't corrupted by the re-sizing process, it shouldn't have caused any damage to Windows itself.

What version of Linux is it, and how did you install it (CD, USB etc.)?  After you installed Linux, did you get a boot menu on start up listing the two operating systems, or did it just boot straight into Linux?

I worry that by running registry editing tools, and various other thing (what exactly is All In One Runtimes?) to try to 'fix' it you might have inadvertently made it worse.

Edited by jonuk76, 21 August 2014 - 08:12 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users