Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:02 PM

Hi everyone

I have a Dell Inspiron 3500 (antique, i know) anyway the battery was working fine until yesterday, when all it says in the charge meter on the taskbar is "1%, charging". Its been like that for 2 days now. If I take the battery out and use the test button on the side to see how full it is, no lights come on, meaning its not charged. Has the battery lived its life, or is there something else to check?

Thanks

-Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:28 AM

You can take a volt meter to the charger to see if it's still working, if the is proper voltage there then it would be a bad battery. Another way to go would be if you know someone else that has a means of charging that battery, try theirs and see if it charges.

Edited by dc3, 05 June 2006 - 01:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 luci2a

luci2a

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:10 AM

There was a product recall of Dell batteries a while back. It might be worth looking on their website to see whether yours is one of the ones affected, in which case they may replace it free of charge. (sorry for unintentional pun!)

Luci2a

#4 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:27 PM

Thanks, I contacted support and they determined that from a light code (1st, 3rd, and 5th lights flashing) that it means that my battery is just gone. (They probably just want me to buy a new one since they wouldnt tell me what the code meant- typical Dell support :thumbsup: )

Thanks

-Nick

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 09:11 AM

Thanks, I contacted support and they determined that from a light code (1st, 3rd, and 5th lights flashing) that it means that my battery is just gone. (They probably just want me to buy a new one since they wouldnt tell me what the code meant- typical Dell support :thumbsup: )

Thanks

-Nick

Hi Nick, just curious here, where were these lights located, and I'm guessing that you are referring to LEDs, and are they all the same color?

Did you try to google for the trouble codes?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:32 AM

The lights are a built in self test for the battery, they are located on the top of the battery. There are 5 indicating the charge of the battery and they are all green. I could not find any code for lights on google, but I got the idea to try the battery in a different bay.

-Nick

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:15 AM

Ebay has many listings for a replacement battery starting at about $35 including shipping (of course they may charge you more for shipping because they have to deal with the mostquitos!) Look HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users