Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to get control of spam?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ncage

Ncage

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

Hopefully this is the right forum for the question i want to ask.

For years i've tried to get control of spam. My method somewhat works but is a pain in the rear. That being said i own my own domain which buys me a little leverage. Currently i'm an office 365 subscriber. I think the method a lot of people use to have a catch-all and provide a unique email address to each and every site the register with and when they start getting spam they know the where to point the finger at and they can just block that specific address. 

With that being said unfortunately office 365 does not (and i don't think will ever) support catch-all and unfortunately they don't allow multiple email addresses per user. I think its the same if my email was hosted with google apps. Now i can have multiple forwarding addresses (which i do use). Basically i can tell the system if any mail comes in on address temp@example.org then forward it automatically to mymainaddress@example.org. The negative with these forward address is that you can't send email with a forward address. Which has caused multiple problems in the past.

Here is what i currently do which, to be honest, has been a pain. I create a email addresses for groups of emails. For example

(Foward Addresses):

MyOrders@example.org <---Use for all orders

Forums@example.org <---use for all forums

junk@example.org <---used for those sites you really don't want to give them your address

Now the problem being is if i start getting spam at any of the addresses i can never really tell the affending party. It could be a any of the sites in the group. Also if i starting getting spam changing my email is a PAIN. On top of it no one really has my REAL email address (so what good is it right?)

So the question is should i give in and just starting to primarily use one email address and rely on good spam filter? I will still have a few others (like the junk@example.org and if you use google or microsoft services then you are requires to have an email address with them). It will be a LOT less work but i know i will receive more spam.

Hopefully office 365 spam filter is really good. I really hadn't had the opportunity to really test it out thoroughly at this point. If not i might just end up buy a subscription to mailroute.

We all know no matter how careful we are with our email addresses. If we use them frequently them spam bots always get ahold of them. From sites we use getting hacked to our friends having our email in their address book getting hacked. Heck one time i had an email address that only my wife knew. She uses an android phone and it was in her address book. I pretty sure one of the apps she downloaded was harvesting her address book because i started getting spam.

Anyways any advice would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

No don't give in.  I've been using e-mail forwarding, in one form or another, just a short time after getting out of the military (about 19 years), and it's served me well.  Don't ask the number of e-mails accounts I have, because I won't say, but people I've told has said "holy cr*p"!!

I use a series of filters on my domain, then I also use mailwasher (see later).  I take all my e-mails and send them to one account.  In order to send, I have the e-mails I want to send on, set up in Outlook, and on these accounts, I turn off the receive, so they will only send.

When it comes to my e-mails, I'm ruthless.  For instance, if my e-mail is placed on a "TO" or "CC" line, where others can see it (when the sender is sending it to multiple people), the account is deleted, and the person has to contact me via phone or snail mail.  No exceptions, even offense #1 causes this to be invoked.  E-mailing a person is a privledge, not a right.

I've had a couple of times where a customer service representative (CSR) said I had to give them my e-mail, and was less then nice when I refused.  They pushed, and I pushed back.  I contacted the CEO's office (the people that work for him/her), and told them what happened.

Mailwasher ( http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro ) basically connects to your e-mail account, and presents a list of what's on your server.  You then can manually mark them to be deleted, blacklisted, or apply filters to them.  Once you click "Process Mail", mailwasher then connects to your server, deletes what you told it to, then opens your pop client (e.g. Outlook), and you then download your e-mail.

I'm working on my own type of program something like mailwasher, although I put it on the back burner for awhile, because of contracts I'm working on.  Once I'm done with it, I will be allowing people I know to Beta test it, then eventually let it out as freeware.  There will be no nag screens, no planned limitations, etc.

Finally, if you're in the USA, look up the CANSPAM Act of 2003.  It has things that can help you, that have teeth.  One is where if you opt-out getting e-mails, and the company continues, they can get fined heavily.  Per the FTC site, "Each separate email in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act is subject to penalties of up to $16,000..."

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

Keep up the fight against spam!

Have a great day!
  :bananas:  :bounce:

Edited by scotty_ncc1701, 21 August 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#3 Ncage

Ncage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

No don't give in.  I've been using e-mail forwarding, in one form or another, just a short time after getting out of the military (about 19 years), and it's served me well.  Don't ask the number of e-mails accounts I have, because I won't say, but people I've told has said "holy cr*p"!!

I use a series of filters on my domain, then I also use mailwasher (see later).  I take all my e-mails and send them to one account.  In order to send, I have the e-mails I want to send on, set up in Outlook, and on these accounts, I turn off the receive, so they will only send.

When it comes to my e-mails, I'm ruthless.  For instance, if my e-mail is placed on a "TO" or "CC" line, where others can see it (when the sender is sending it to multiple people), the account is deleted, and the person has to contact me via phone or snail mail.  No exceptions, even offense #1 causes this to be invoked.  E-mailing a person is a privledge, not a right.

I've had a couple of times where a customer service representative (CSR) said I had to give them my e-mail, and was less then nice when I refused.  They pushed, and I pushed back.  I contacted the CEO's office (the people that work for him/her), and told them what happened.

Mailwasher ( http://www.firetrust.com/en/products/mailwasher-pro ) basically connects to your e-mail account, and presents a list of what's on your server.  You then can manually mark them to be deleted, blacklisted, or apply filters to them.  Once you click "Process Mail", mailwasher then connects to your server, deletes what you told it to, then opens your pop client (e.g. Outlook), and you then download your e-mail.

I'm working on my own type of program something like mailwasher, although I put it on the back burner for awhile, because of contracts I'm working on.  Once I'm done with it, I will be allowing people I know to Beta test it, then eventually let it out as freeware.  There will be no nag screens, no planned limitations, etc.

Finally, if you're in the USA, look up the CANSPAM Act of 2003.  It has things that can help you, that have teeth.  One is where if you opt-out getting e-mails, and the company continues, they can get fined heavily.  Per the FTC site, "Each separate email in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act is subject to penalties of up to $16,000..."

http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus61-can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

Keep up the fight against spam!

Have a great day!

Kind of sad its got to this point isn't it? They have tried to introduce standards to take care of the problem but its a huge issues because there are so many email servers on the internet. Hard to get everyone to upgrade their server to deal with these standards. Not only that but its a huge performance issue. Some servers process millions/billions an email a day and if you require each email to be processed with some type of cryptographic processing it would create a huge load. What they don't understand though if these standards were introduced then the # of emails they had to process would drop significantly.

Anyways i digress. So anyone that hits reply on an email you send them and emails you back will be rejected or do you just change the reply-to address where your really address will show up but if they click reply then it will go to the address you specify? I wish i could be like that hard nosed but i don't think i can. Of course the best setup you can have one email per account on each and every site and one per person. That way if you start getting spam you know who's fault it is. If you have catch-all support that makes it easy but unfortunately office 365 does not. 

I don't know i'm still considering primarily using one email account and using great antispam protection. Postini on gmail is excellent. Hopefully office 365 spam protection is just as good. If not it would probably be worth it to spend $30 a year on mailroute (i've heard its really good) that the amount of time i manage email addresses...

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

When my e-mail is compromised, then the account is cancelled immediately.  For instance, one friend was told plenty of times what my rules are, he then sent a message to me, and a relative of his, with my e-mail in the plain.  I consider this compromised, so I canceled the account.  It didn't matter if it was a relative of his.  The relative could have a compromised e-mail account, and spammers/hackers would have gotten my e-mail.  Yep, I'm ruthless on maintain computer, e-mail, etc security.

Have a great day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users