Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Errors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 theonlybuster

theonlybuster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

Not sure if this is the correct/best section to ask, but here it goes.

I had a Toshiba laptop.  I say had because there Mobo crapped out on me, so I took the hard drive and stuck it in an empty desktop in an attempt to continue working. 

A tech looked at it briefly and discovered the OS had some boot errors or something like that.

Long story short I was told the best way to fix it would be with a Toshiba re-install CD.

I wanted to know if I could use a simple Windows 7 CD or if boot errors were better fixed w/ the Toshiba reinstall CD. 

I'm planning on using a friend's Win 7 Home Premium cd (same OS as my own) to fix the issue(s).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Amythyr

Amythyr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:42 PM

Normally boot errors can be fixed with simple windows 7 dvd,just run startup repair after booting from dvd.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

You took the hard drive and put it into a spare desktop that didn't have a drive in it - is that right ?  I am surprised it ran at all as the driver set would be different, particularly the chip-set drivers.

By all means, add it as a second drive to a working desktop, or slave it by a USB connection (requires a 'caddy') to any computer to recover your data from it, but for the repair, I'm not clear on what you mean.

If you mean repair the laptop, once a new mobo is fitted the hard drive should work perfectly well. It may need the drivers replacing, but these should come with the motherboard or be downloaded from the Toshiba web-site.

If you mean continue using the Toshiba hard drive in the desktop, but have it working properly, you need the drivers for the hardware that is in the desktop, particularly the chip-set drivers.. The mobo in the dektop should be marked with the maker and model number. You need to go to their web-site and download the Win 7 drivers for it. A memory stick and another computer would be the best method for this.

If there is a problem with the Win 7 installation on this hard drive, the Windows install disc would be the best method to repair it - do a 'Repair install' - and if asked for an authentication code - the COA - use the number off the desktop.

If you are going to put it back in the Toshiba, then again use the Windows disc and the COA off the Toshiba. You will need to make a phone call to MS to get it authenticated as a new mobo is considered a new computer. If you decide to use the Toshiba recovery discs this will restore the laptop to an ex-works condition and all your data and applications will be lost and you will still need to phone MS.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Normally boot errors can be fixed with simple windows 7 dvd,just run startup repair after booting from dvd.

Alright awesome. Just wanted confirmation.

You took the hard drive and put it into a spare desktop that didn't have a drive in it - is that right ?  I am surprised it ran at all as the driver set would be different, particularly the chip-set drivers.

By all means, add it as a second drive to a working desktop, or slave it by a USB connection (requires a 'caddy') to any computer to recover your data from it, but for the repair, I'm not clear on what you mean.

If you mean repair the laptop, once a new mobo is fitted the hard drive should work perfectly well. It may need the drivers replacing, but these should come with the motherboard or be downloaded from the Toshiba web-site.

If you mean continue using the Toshiba hard drive in the desktop, but have it working properly, you need the drivers for the hardware that is in the desktop, particularly the chip-set drivers.. The mobo in the dektop should be marked with the maker and model number. You need to go to their web-site and download the Win 7 drivers for it. A memory stick and another computer would be the best method for this.

If there is a problem with the Win 7 installation on this hard drive, the Windows install disc would be the best method to repair it - do a 'Repair install' - and if asked for an authentication code - the COA - use the number off the desktop.

If you are going to put it back in the Toshiba, then again use the Windows disc and the COA off the Toshiba. You will need to make a phone call to MS to get it authenticated as a new mobo is considered a new computer. If you decide to use the Toshiba recovery discs this will restore the laptop to an ex-works condition and all your data and applications will be lost and you will still need to phone MS.

Chris Cosgrove

Yeah, took the HDD out of my Toshiba and put it into my Desktop.  Because the desktop was built from the ground up I already had the drivers saved, so updating/installing drivers was a breeze. 

The Mobo is gone.  Long story short, while a friend was looking at it, it was broken in half.  No love loss though, in my mind it was already gone.

My main concern was that the OS blue screens randomly even while idle.  After browsing the web and talking to a few other techs, they conclusion across the board was either an OS issue or hardware failure.  Seeing as the problem was on my laptop (Before dying) as well, the first thought was software.  The second being a problem with certain sectors of the hard drive. 
But my main concern was either paying a friend to ship his Win7 installation CD to me or paying Toshiba for their CD. 

I needa get around to buying an OS CD, but I needa scower the interwebs and find it at a relatively low price. Even if CD key isn't included.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Ever heard of 'Digital River' ?  You can get, as I understand it, a legal copy of Windows as a download, here, courtesy of noknojon, are the instructions :

Digital River downloads

Hello - This is the word from Microsoft (as of 2 months ago) RE : Digital River-

Note that it was written by an Indian Microsoft helper, if any writing is a bit ?? off.......

For disclosure I have Copied and Pasted the reply to your basic question - - - - - - - - - -

These are retail installation media you can download and use to reinstall your copy of Windows 7 that came with your PC. The file is in the .ISO format which is a digital replica of a disc, you have prepare it after downloading it:

Download the corresponding edition of Windows 7 you have a license for from the following link. You can identify the edition on COA sticker attached to your machine, with at bottom or battery compartment (laptop) or top/side if its a desktop computer.

COA Certificate of Authenticity:

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa

What is the Windows Certificate of Authenticity?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-Windows-Certificate-of-Authenticity

Windows 7 Home Premium (x86) - 32 bit

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) - 64 bit

Windows 7 Professional (x86) - 32 bit

Windows 7 Professional (x64) - 64 bit

Windows 7 Ultimate (x86)* - 32 bit

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)* - 64 bit

32 vs 64 bit

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

ImgBurn - In addtion to supporting the creation of CD's from .ISO files,

it supports a wide range of other image file formats, and it's free.

(BIN, CUE, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, MDS, NRG, PDI and ISO)

http://www.imgburn.com/

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning+ISO+Images+with+ImgBurn

Note: Always use the slowest burn speed (4x or 2x) if offered a choice.

You will need to use the COA off the desk top.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Amythyr

Amythyr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

Yup and you can use your old key to activate,if it doesn't activate call microsoft tech support to activate it via phone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users