Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extending Display From Laptop to Two TVs Through 1 VGA Port

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PsvyXloneAeon

PsvyXloneAeon

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

So here's what I want to do.

I want to use my laptop's VGA port and split it so that it sends a signal to TWO other televisions, but NOT DUPLICATE the image.

Instead, I want to EXTEND them. Right now, I have a monitor that uses VGA only, and a television that has the capability to use both VGA and HDMI. My laptop has HDMI as well, but the problem is that when I send the signal from my laptop to the television by way of the HDMI cable, it won't allow me to adjust the screen dimensions, and because of that, has an almost two inch thick black bar around the borders where I can't adjust the resolution or the horizontal/vertical width of the picture. 

I know the TV supports full screen from the laptop, I've done it before, but I've never done 3 monitors, which is where I have a problem.

I've looked online at VGA to HDMI adapters, but the jury's still out on whether or not they work, it seems to be a luck issue more than anything. I've also looked into a VGA splitter. I like the idea of those, but I don't know whether or not that just duplicates the images rather than extends them. I feel like one of those cables wouldn't do the trick. Hence my consultation with you fine folks. 

Any ideas or suggestions? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Get a USB to VGA adapter.  This takes your video card out of the equation.  I've used this solution many times to create a three monitor set up.

A VGA splitter will route the same VGA signal to two different devices, not what you're looking to do.

The issue with VGA to HDMI is going analog to digital and content that uses High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) will have issues since the signal path cannot be protected.  This will result in various results from the content being degraded or unable to display at all.

#3 PsvyXloneAeon

PsvyXloneAeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

Get a USB to VGA adapter.  This takes your video card out of the equation.  I've used this solution many times to create a three monitor set up.

A VGA splitter will route the same VGA signal to two different devices, not what you're looking to do.

The issue with VGA to HDMI is going analog to digital and content that uses High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) will have issues since the signal path cannot be protected.  This will result in various results from the content being degraded or unable to display at all.

Well that was much simpler to read than the 30 paragraph dissertations I found through Google. I didn't even know that a USB to VGA adapter would exist. I never thought that USB port could send a video signal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users