Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help. How Can I Transfer Operating system form one pc to another

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chassc

chassc

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

I hope this is the correct forum.

SITUATION: My daughter dropped her Sony VAIO VGN-CS320J laptop and broke the power jack. When I opened it up, I found that the cast metal around the jack was cracked in a few places.  I JB welded it, put in new jack, and when I was connecting the screen, I really cracked the casing and molding, beyond simple repair. New bottom case & parts was about the same as a used laptop, so I bought a used SONY VGN-CS320J (no back-up disk). She had the system restore disk from another incident and decided she would load all her old pictures, files, etc. and now when you turn it on now. It now sez   "No operating system found".

Given the 1st laptop was purchased in Oct 2009, I believe that the OS was Windows Vista.  2nd laptop has a Windows Vista sticker on it. 

QUESTIONS:

1. I have the hard drive from the original Sony (nothing wrong with it) and I have access to a BLACXST0005U.  Can I transfer the OS from the original hard drive to the 2nd laptop using the BlacX?

2. Will swapping the hard drives make the 2nd laptop operational?

3. If neither 1 or 2 will work, what do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Provided both systems are the same, which is what I gather from your post, you should be able to install the hard drive from the dropped laptop into the laptop you purchased.  Verify the boot order in BIOS.  If it doesn't work then there may be damage to the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users