Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Get My Icons Back

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:18 PM

Howdy,

In the past after I logged on to the internet I was able to click on start and all my security icons would show up. At that point I could just double click on one and the program would launch. Here is my problem.

I have know idea how or what I did to make several of them disappear.

This is how I tried to fix the problem.

I went to all programs and left clicked and used the cursor in order to drag the missing programs back over to where they used to be.

As usual, because I have know idea what I am doing it did not work out. As an example I now have a folder in that spot with Spybot S&d next to it. If I double click a new window pops up showing a short cut to Spybot, I then have to double click on that to open the program.

I am sorry to ramble on like this, but because of my very limited knowledge this is the only way I know to explain my problem.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thank You for your time,
Dennis :thumbsup:

I have XP Home SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:08 PM

Are you talking about icons on the desktop or those in the Quick Launch bar which is at the bottom of the screen next to the start button?

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

Howdy Enthusiast.

Well they way they show up is like this. If I click on the green start bar on the bottom of the desktop far left, large icons will appear. It will show a grey wall with Windows Defender next to it but no folders. All I have to do at that point is double click on Windows Defender and the program comes up.

The rest of them such as Spybbot, Norton, Spyblaster etc.. Has a folder to the left of the program and a box covering about half of the folder that has little multi-colored squares in them.

I hope I am making some sense. Please ask me anything you would like I will answer the best I can.

Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Perhaps a better word to use would be the company logo to the left of the program instead of the folders for those that are working as they use to.

Edited by Dennis H, 04 June 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

I think you are talking about "recently used programs" which appear right over the start button when you click on it.

Try opening these programs in "All Programs" one at a time and then close them and see if that doesn't return them to where you are used to seeing them. I think they are easier to access as shortcuts on the desktop though, but that's me.

You can also make shortcuts to place icons for these programs on your desktop if they aren't already there.

You do that by right clicking on the program for which you want to make a shortcut in the "all programs" menu. Then select "Create Shortcut". That will place another copy of the shortcut either right below the program or in the bottom of the programs list. Either way, just drag the second copy to your desktop.

The Spybot shortcut to a shortcut - just place your cursor on it, right click and delete it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 June 2006 - 02:27 PM.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:52 AM

Thanks for your help Enthusiast !

Everything worked out after following your advice. I really appreciate it.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:54 AM

You are vey welcome.
I appreciate your taking the time to come back and tell us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users