Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

w7 64bit hanging and freezing windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CMCarlin

CMCarlin

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi guys!

I am experiencing a weird problem. My PC has started to hang and freeze up for a few seconds when trying to do simple things such as close a window, change an in-game setting  or hit enter after typing in a search query in chrome.

I have been here in the past (and you are all extremely helpful, for which I am eternally grateful). My past thread is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492680/new-pc-loving-it-except-that-it-randomly-hangs-on-sleep-or-gives-me-a-bsod/

BSODs went away after getting a new HDD, but anyway. I did a fresh install of windows again today, because I had problems with corrupt files. Had some HDD bad sectors. Ran a chkdsk yesterday, which took hours.

And this time around, when installing windows, I am keeping everything on the same partition/drive. Well the hangups aren't as bad. My games aren't crashing like they were yesterday and before, but I am still seein hanging. Something tells me it's hardware related but I'm not sure (I hope not).

What I am doing now: going to make sure windows is fully update. Double check all my drivers, even though I have all that covered pretty well from my previous thread (which includes several hotfix patches for my chipset - like I said you guys rock  - I would have never known about that myself and wouldn't even think to look for that sort of thing).

Anyway, what kind of investigation can I start with? Oh I think I will try a memtest86+ tonight before going to bed. I may also reseat the memory sticks and harddrive incase something happened when trying to vacuum out the dust in my tower (it overheated recently).

Thoughts? Explanations?

attached: speccy

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Just for the record, the next time you post a Speccy report, just copy and paste the URL Speccy gives you. Apart from anything else, the Speccy report is nicely formatted and much easier to read than the Notepad text file version ! See these two images :

Speccy - get link      :-  http://imageshack.com/a/img633/5531/hxAaqx.jpg

Speccy - copy URL  :-  http://imageshack.com/a/img908/427/O3lZIo.jpg

after getting a new HDD . . . had some HDD bad sectors

I'm not clear on this. Is this the new hard drive or the old one that has the bad sectors ?  Bad sectors are often a sign of a failing drive, which suggests it is time to back-up any data you have on this drive. If it is the new one I would be inclined to take this up with your supplier. I have never actually checked a brand new drive but I understand they too can have faulty sectors - it's the nature of the manufacturing process - but these are avoided when you install on a new drive and it should be some time before new faulty sectors appear.

If memtest doesn't show up any errors, then it is probably a hard drive problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Ok, the new HDD had bad sectores. I think so anyway, as I also have an old one installed as a data drive. 

Anyway, I may have caught a virus that damaged the sectors. I'm not sure. But my problem seems to have went away. I reseated the memory sticks and the HDD cables. But I also went through and made sure windows updated more. The hanging went away. Because hanging was an issue before, I think it  may have been the cables. Not really sure. Regardless, my problem is no longer a problem :)

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

I am glad you have it sorted, but personally I dislike indeterminate solutions like this one !

Happy computing !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 CMCarlin

CMCarlin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

I am glad you have it sorted, but personally I dislike indeterminate solutions like this one !

Happy computing !

Chris Cosgrove

Hmm Im not sure, what do you mean by intermediate solution? Just curious...

#6 Amythyr

Amythyr

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

If your new hdd have bad sectors,then better to replace it as it must be under warranty.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

The Speccy snapshot does not show any indications of bad sectors, no reallocated sector counts, no pending sector counts, no uncorrectable sector counts.

The hdd with Windows installed is a Seagate.  If you want to run their dianostic toll (SeaTools for DOS) use the instructions below.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD use the instructions below.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the short test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Just for the record, I said 'indeterminate' solutions. That is to say errors or faults with non-determined solutions - 'It's fixed, but I don't know why !'

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users