Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Obtaining Outlook 2010 Server Info

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 theonlybuster

theonlybuster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

I work in an office where Outlook reigns supreme. 

My manager has been overseeing multiple accounts via Outlook and it's not going well.  He constantly is replying using the wrong email account and causing quite a bit of confusion.  He NEEDS separate email clients to limit his own confusion.  So I figured he'd be better off have multiple email clients... Outlook having his personal main account, Thunderbird (or similar) with the other email account(s). 

Here's my issue, the company uses an in-house server for email.  I'm attempting to set up Thunderbird and it's asking for an Incoming  IMAP (or POP3) and Outgoing SMTP.  I'm not exactly sure of this and so far my guesses have been gone.  Just curious if someone knows where to get this info from through Outlook.

I've browsed Google, but every result is for an Internet Settings, not a Server Settings.

Program: Outlook 2010

Let me know if more info is needed. 

Edited by theonlybuster, 20 August 2014 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Since you are using an in-house email server, you will need to get that information from the IT department or whoever manages the in-house mail server.

#3 theonlybuster

theonlybuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:28 AM

Since you are using an in-house email server, you will need to get that information from the IT department or whoever manages the in-house mail server.

The only problem is their response time is notoriously long.  I was hoping to find the info on an existing account already on Outlook.  I take it as it's not that easy?

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

Unfortunately, no. Since it's an in-house email server (Exchange, I assume?) it's probably using autodiscover. So the email server info you would get from Outlook would be of limited value. In any event, server addresses for SMTP and IMAP/POP tend to be different, and since the existing Outlook client isn't using either IMAP or POP, those addresses wouldn't be obtainable from the Outlook client anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users