Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win32 crypt-pfh [trj] found in tmp.edb file?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Hermesx

Hermesx

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

I ran a full scan with avast today and it only found one threat.

It was win32:crypt-pfh [trj] which had the file path of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

I searched it up online and found a microsoft answers where a representative had responded saying that it was a false positive and that it is a system file. The answer: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/suspected-trojandropper-in-tmpedb-file/8fe699fc-aae1-4b26-9bc0-55cb24608fbe

But, looking on another forum a user advised the person asking the question to turn off Desktop Search by using the toolbar and deselecting it. When I tried to do the same, there was no option to turn off the toolbar for Desktop Search because desktop search is not on the list.

If any one can help me in identifying this as a FP or not I would greatly appreciate it as avast considered the file to be of high severity. 

Thanks, Hermes

Edit: Forgot one small detail, I had tried to move the file to avast's quarantine chest with no effect, tried to repair it, nothing, finally I chose the fix automatically option and it seems to have worked. but, this does not downgrade my concern as to whether my computer is infected or not.

Edit 4:32pm: Ran a threat scan with malwarebytes, came back clean.

Also ran a scan with Adwcleaner and nothing significant there.

Edited by Hermesx, 20 August 2014 - 03:33 PM.

I appreciate all the help that anyone ever provides me with. Thank you to everyone that has assisted me in the past. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users