Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't recognize camera, Garmin; plays music CD's only.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Julie 1960

Julie 1960

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

So, this has been going on for over a year now.  When I plug in my camera, which has photos on it, the PC wants me to format the drive (ERROR MESSAGE IS: "You need to format the disk in Drive E: before you can use it.  Do you want to format Drive E?") , so I am unable to view the photos from my camera on my PC.  When I plug in the Garmin, to update the software, the PC does not recognize that it's plugged in.  When I go to "My computer", it shows that I have these devices plugged in, but they do not work.  I can play music CD's in my CD/DVD drive (by going to Windows Media Center), but nothing else, i.e., new software, or software for my camera.  I used to be able to just put the CD or DVD in the drive and it would start up.  Now, I put the CD or DVD in the drive, it starts to make a noise like it is being read, but then nothing happens.  When I go to my computer, and double click on the D: drive, it says, "insert a disk into Drive D", and then it ejects the CD in the drive.   My mouse will work, although I have had problems with it, too.  I had a wired one which then quit working, then I used a wireless one.  The wireless one quit working, so I plugged in the old wired one, and it started working again.  Any advice?  I have Windows Vista Home Premium.  Anything else you need to know to help me, please let me know.  I have searched a lot online for answers and tried many things which didn't help and finally decided to try getting help here.  I'd like to be able to post photos on eBay again.  Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

You don't mention the OS or if there is an installation CD for the camera.

Be sure the battery in your wireless mouse is fresh - dead batteries = dead mice

What is your security software? Is it current? Have you run ans scans? What were the results?

Thanks

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Julie 1960

Julie 1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Hi Dick,

Thank you for responding.  :)

My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32-bit OS, 3 GB RAM.  I have an installation CD for the camera, but the CD drive won't play the CD. 

I just today switched to a THIRD mouse, because out of the blue, the wired one stopped working again.  I was working on the computer, and the mouse quit working.  I got an error message saying "one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. Try reconnecting the device.  If Windows still does not recognize it, replace the device".  The wireless one would not work again either.  I found a third mouse and am using it now.

My security software is Kaspersky Internet Security.  I update it regularly and am updating it again now.  I also have SAS free edition, MBAM free edition, Spybot Search and Destroy free edition.  I should run them all again, as I haven't done that for probably a month, but as I stated in my original post, this has been going on (not able to use camera and CD/DVD player) since around March/April of 2013.  I will run scans again with all my programs if you want me to do that first.  Thanks again for helping me.

Hi,

You don't mention the OS or if there is an installation CD for the camera.

Be sure the battery in your wireless mouse is fresh - dead batteries = dead mice

What is your security software? Is it current? Have you run ans scans? What were the results?

Thanks

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hi,

I skipped Vista so I'm not much help there.

Running an on demand scanner weekly is a good idea. Infections come in all shapes sized and some very unusual colors. The fewer that are allowed to take up residence the better. Infections are going to happen we just don't want them to get the upper hand. Alternate your on demand scans so that you are able to take advantage of the fact that each of them does their thing in a slightly different manner.

When was the last time you updated your drivers? It almost sounds like the USB drivers aren't doing their job. I'm assuming that you have run windows update to make sure that your OS is current.

If you can go to the camera site and download the driver, so you don't have to solve the CD/DVD problem first, see if that will get you your camera up and running.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

You seem to have multiple problems. I'll address the CD/DVD one;

Your optical drive has failed. Modern ODs usually have 2 lasers, one for CD and one for DVD. Your DVD laser has failed. The CD laser stills works... how can you tell, you ask? You can still play music CDs. You need a new DVD drive.

Hope this helps.

#6 Julie 1960

Julie 1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

You seem to have multiple problems. I'll address the CD/DVD one;

Your optical drive has failed. Modern ODs usually have 2 lasers, one for CD and one for DVD. Your DVD laser has failed. The CD laser stills works... how can you tell, you ask? You can still play music CDs. You need a new DVD drive.

Hope this helps.

Well, that would explain my DVD problem...  Thanks for posting about this.  I appreciate your help.

I am still working on figuring out the camera issues.  There is not an updated driver for my camera (FinePix A360) for Vista on the Fujifilm website.  I have contacted them to see if they can help me. 

I am still open for any ideas from anyone else on solving the issues that I have.  Anybody have ideas on why I am having so many problems with the different mice acting up the way they are?  Thanks in advance to anyone with any advice.

One more thing; I have ran scans using SAS, MBAM, Spybot and nothing was found.  Kaspersky has not found anything either. 

Thanks again for any help.

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Once you have replaced the DVD drive with a new one, attempt to install the camera drivers. It is possible, though not likely, that those drivers may work with Vista, but I doubt it. (BTW, if you hear back from Fujifilm I will be surprised. If they haven't published a Vista driver by now, then they aren't going to.)

The Garmin may/should have a driver disk. You will probably need to install the drivers for it to communicate properly on the web so it can rx updates.

Regarding the mice;

1. You've tried a wireless mouse, are you sure the battery didn't fail?

2. Was the wired mouse PS2 or USB,,, or both?

Regarding the camera and the Garmin: we need make/model of both of these devices to give better advice.

#8 Julie 1960

Julie 1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

Once you have replaced the DVD drive with a new one, attempt to install the camera drivers. It is possible, though not likely, that those drivers may work with Vista, but I doubt it. (BTW, if you hear back from Fujifilm I will be surprised. If they haven't published a Vista driver by now, then they aren't going to.)

The Garmin may/should have a driver disk. You will probably need to install the drivers for it to communicate properly on the web so it can rx updates.

Regarding the mice;

Regarding the camera and the Garmin: we need make/model of both of these devices to give better advice.

I will have to have someone replace the DVD drive for me sometime... I don't know anything about doing that.  That was my thought too on hearing anything from Fujifilm.  But they have drivers for all the earlier versions of Windows... I don't understand why they wouldn't have one from a newer OS, too.

The Garmin did not come with a CD.  I updated it from the internet, if I remember correctly (this was 2 years ago).  The Garmin is a nuvi 50 LM model.  I downloaded new Garmin software from the internet to my desktop, but when I run the program and I have the Garmin plugged in, the software can not see (???) that the Garmin is already plugged in.

I just now plugged in a SanDisk flash drive, and when I click on that drive  (Removeable disk E:)under my computer, it to says I need to format the disk before I can use it.

As for the mice, it's almost like they take turns working for a while, then they need a break!! :lol:  

You ask about the wired mouse, if it's PS2 or USB... I plug it in to the USB port, if that's any help.  What is PS2? 

BTW, I can plug my camera and the flash drive into my Roku box (streaming media player) and can see my photos on my TV, so I know there is something wrong on the computer's end for viewing the photos. 

Is any of this info helpful for you?  Thanks so much for your help.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

The PS2 plug is the small round plug that was used a while back, dropped for USB and then returned for keyboards and mice.

I'm still convinced that there's a problem with the USB drivers. Have you gone to your motherboard manufacturer's site to see if you can download newer drivers than you are currently using?

Keep us posted

Edited by dicke, 22 August 2014 - 05:18 PM.

Dick E

#10 Julie 1960

Julie 1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

The PS2 plug is the small round plug that was used a while back, dropped for USB and then returned for keyboards and mice.

I'm still convinced that there's a problem with the USB drivers. Have you gone to your motherboard manufacturer's site to see if you can download newer drivers than you are currently using?

Keep us posted

How do I find out who is the motherboard manufacturer?  Thank you.

#11 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

This will tell us your MB info.

Also, let us know when the DVD drive is replaced and it's driver suite is installed.

Need make/model of camera.

#12 Julie 1960

Julie 1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

So I found out I have a Dell MB and I am working on downloading and running My Dell to see if that can help me any of these issues.  I will post again when that is done.  Thank you both, dicke and ElfBane for your help so far.  :busy:

#13 Julie 1960

Julie 1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Keep us posted

Once you have replaced the DVD drive with a new one, attempt to install the camera drivers. It is possible, though not likely, that those drivers may work with Vista, but I doubt it. (BTW, if you hear back from Fujifilm I will be surprised. If they haven't published a Vista driver by now, then they aren't going to.) Fujifilm sent me an email and gave me a toll free number to call for help to get my camera working.  I will see if they can help me with that.  I will call them tomorrow.  Thanks for your help so far. 

Regarding the mice;

Keep us posted

My motherboard is a Dell and I downloaded and installed a bunch of drivers, which messed up something. I did a system restore which fixed what it had messed up.
Some of the drivers that I tried to install either did not work or I got error messages trying to install them.  I didn't find any updates which were specifically for USB drivers at the Dell download page (any other advice concerning updating the USB drivers)?   I was unaware that I had to download stuff from Dell, so thanks for teaching me that.  (I am totally self taught on the computer and there is so much that I don't know, but I do my best).  I will be contacting Fujifilm tomorrow to see if they can help me get my camera working.  Thanks for helping me so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users