Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Active Window/Program Switches Randomly Without User Prompt (Windows 8.1)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 oshmunnies

oshmunnies

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

I have recently begun experiencing this problem after updating to Windows 8.1 (although I'm not sure that it's directly related to the update).  I see that similar questions have been asked on other forums, but I see none for 8.1.

The best way to describe the problem is this: while using a particular window (such as a browser window or word processor window), the window will randomly become inactive. Sometimes it will switch back to being active automatically, other times I have to manually click back into the window to use it again.  This is especially frustrating when trying to type or use drop-down menus.  As I type this question I am constantly clicking back into the browser window to keep it active.  The problem appears not to be specific to any particular program or internet browser, but occurs for any window that I happen to be using. 

I don't know if this is relevant, but the activity of one particular background process appears to correlate with the timing of the problem. The process, "HPConnectedRemoteService", is continually appearing and disappearing from the Task Manager. It appears, increases gradually to about 20% CPU, then disappears.  Any given active window will become inactive when "HPConnectedRemoteService" reaches about 20% CPU. Again, I do not know for sure if this process is involved with the problem though. Attached are several screenshots of the processes running, in case they can aid in solving this.

Would really appreciate any help! This is incredibly annoying and counterproductive!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

Welcome,

What is your security software? Is it current and have you run any scans?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 oshmunnies

oshmunnies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Welcome,

What is your security software? Is it current and have you run any scans?

Keep us posted

Thank you for your reply.

I use Webroot "Secure Anywhere." It is current and I scan for threats on a daily basis. At the moment the software does not detect any threats but the problem still persists.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi,

That looks like it covers the virus threats well. Have you run any other scans looking for PUPs and the like [the PITA stuff that isn't a virus]?

Is there any reason you need the HP remote service running?

If you're not sure what it does try opening task manager and stopping the service when it's running. You can always retstart it if needed.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 oshmunnies

oshmunnies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

Have you run any other scans looking for PUPs and the like [the PITA stuff that isn't a virus]?

Is there any reason you need the HP remote service running?

If you're not sure what it does try opening task manager and stopping the service when it's running. 

By scanning for PUPs, you mean manually looking for unwanted programs running? 

(I assume PITA = Pain In the Ass? haha)

I am not sure what the HP remote service does, but I have a hunch that it is related to the Google Chrome Remote Desktop app that I occasionally use to access my desktop from my laptop when I am not at home. If it is related to this, I am not sure why it is running, since I do not use the app when I am at my desktop (the problematic computer). I have also been using that app for a long time, and have never encountered this problem until very recently, which suggests to me that it may not be related to the app (??).

I have tried stopping the process numerous times, but it always restarts on its own and goes through its cycle of appearing and disappearing in the task manager (see first/opening comment).

I am perplexed. 

Edited by oshmunnies, 25 August 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

Let's see if we can make that app a bit less invasive. Start -> control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> scroll down til you find that app and right click on it -> click on properties -> about mid page change the 'Startup type' to "Manual"

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/superantispyware/

and or

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware-cleanup-tool/

I use both as on demand scanners. Run one or the other about once a week - just in case. Use the free versions so you don't get in conflict with your active antivirus scanner.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

Is this a touchscreen machine?

All is well in Paradise.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:53 AM

Excellent question!

Dick E

#9 oshmunnies

oshmunnies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:18 PM

It is not a touchscreen. I am happy to provide any other information about my setup if anyone can think of anything else that would be helpful.

I'm about to try dicke's last suggestions, so bear with me here.

Thanks for your input, both of you! 

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

It is not a touchscreen. I am happy to provide any other information about my setup if anyone can think of anything else that would be helpful.

Is this a laptop and if so, do you use an external mouse or the touchpad?

In fact, could you tell us what the make and model of the machine is please?

PS: I keep forgetting to mention how impressed I am about you posting every single process running on your machine, in a nice orderly fashion.

You make it easy for "us". even though "we" haven't solved the problem yet, but it's nice to work with someone with your level of gumption.

Edited by rockysosua, 26 August 2014 - 05:27 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#11 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

oshmunnies, on 26 Aug 2014 - 5:18 PM, said:

rockysosua, on 25 Aug 2014 - 10:08 PM, said:

I'll wait :whistle:

Dick E

#12 oshmunnies

oshmunnies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:57 PM

Apologies for the delayed response, it's been a hectic week...and thank you both again for your willingness to help!

rockysosua, it is a desktop machine, an HP p2-1394.  And thank you for the compliment. Based on the problem itself, it was apparent that some sort of background process was taking precedence over the active programs, so it seemed appropriate to include info on the background processes. I am by no means a computer whiz, so it's helpful when someone lets me know I'm on the right track!

It appears that dicke's suggestions (setting the Startup Type of the process to Manual) has worked.  The other day I had one brief occasion in which it seemed that the problem had magically fixed itself, so I am not sure whether that has happened again or not. However, I have not experienced the issue for several minutes now.  

For now I'm going to go ahead and assume the problem is resolved! Thanks again!

#13 oshmunnies

oshmunnies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

By the way, why is it that I can "report" a user, but I can't give a positive rating/reputation points to a user? Helpful people deserve to be recognized!

#14 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

I guess it's because we're not here for the recognition or the glory. [at least I'm not]

Cooperation rather than competition is the order of the day. I know I don't have all of the answers and so I depend on others to fill in the gaps.

We're told that many heads make for wise counsel. As you learn more please feel free to join in the discussion and give back. When you feel you have returned enough, pay it forward!

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users