Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see a cloned drives directories

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 awwall

awwall

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:36 PM

I have tried to figure this out, but no luck. I do a clone of my machine drive as a backup. Do this a couple of times per month. Well, finally need to recover a file from the clone. It is located under "users/mylogin/documents". Using the normal windows explorer, it will not show me this directory. I do have ownership of the users and all subs on the clone. Very frustrating. Finally figured out that I can drop to a system command level and use "dos" copy command and retrieve the file.

Why does windows not show these directories? Is it because they are the same names as the mounted drive? If so, why do "dos" commands work fine? Other programs such as "treesize" are able to show these directories also.

Windows Home Premium on Dell N7010 laptop

Any help appreciated....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,855 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hello, and Welcome

It's possible the directory is hidden or listed as a System Folder. In Windows 7 file options allow hidden and system files. Is the directory listed then? But if the attrib is set to hidden or system, I don't understand how you were able to see it using the command prompt.

#3 awwall

awwall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for reply...Nope they are not hidden, checked that.  I have really tried to figure this out.  The only thing I can come up with and if it is causing it, I don't know how to fix.  You must remember that this is a "clone" of my internal hard drive.  When I am logged in, it shows my user name, on the explorer tree, and all subs under my name.  I am guessing it sees this on the external clone drive, and will only show one of them.

Hope I am making sense here.  If this indeed is the reason, I can't figure out how to get around it.  I lets me see everything except what is under my user name on the cloned drive.  And yes, I can drop to cmd level and navigate to these directories and copy files, etc.

Clear as mud right?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,855 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Not sure if it will work but see if taking ownership of the drive works.

http://www.preyerplanning.com/take-ownership-of-entire-hard-drive-in-windows-7.pdf

And a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2wkaMFsh04

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#5 awwall

awwall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Read the instructions.  I will give this a try on the entire drive. I did this on the "users" directory before and it still did not work.  From my OP I stated that I do have ownership of the "users" directory and all subs.  I have no trouble with any other part of the drive.  I can read/write/delete from any other place on the disk with the exception of my own user name directory.  I have no trouble with the "public" directory.  Like I said before, I can use the "treesize" program and it shows me my directory under "users".  I may try something other than windows explorer to see if they will work.  Maybe, "total commander" or "opus".  ODD!!

thanks for your continued help....

#6 awwall

awwall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Update...finally figured out what was apparently causing the problem with viewing my directories with windows explorer.  After trying Opus, which read the directories fine, I decided it had to be something with Explorer.  Thinking back that this was a Clone of my working drive, I decided to rename the partition on the the clone from "OS", which is the name of my "C" drive, to "BACK".  Did this and unmounted and remounted the external drive.  And guess what?  Explorer had no problems seeing all the directories.

Thanks for all the help...

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,855 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Very nice troubleshooting. Thanks for the update on how you resolved the problem. I'm sure this will help other people with the same issue.

#8 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

awwall

Thanks for posting about this topic.  I was curious after reading your thread since I'm a regular cloner, cloning my Desktop C HDD every 2 weeks and a Toshiba Laptop less frequently.

I usually don't check folder/file access after cloning, just occasionally boot up on the cloned HDD to verify Windows boot and operation but I checked a couple of my cloned HDD's after reading your thread and was able to access my items, My Documents files, folders, etc.

I saved your information for future reference If I encounter this problem in the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users