Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam installed and working but not in Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cheffy21

Cheffy21

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista Home Premium and Service Pack 2 installed. Although it's a few years old now it still works perfectly well for what I need.

Anyway, I recently replaced the internal webcam and cable after the wire broke as a result of it breaking due to the constant opening and closing of the lid.

Once fitted I tried to start the webcam to try it out. As I recall there used to be an icon for it when you clicked on the 'Computer' icon on the desktop. That isn't there now - just an icon for the 'C' drive and and another icon for the DVD drive.

I have checked in Device Manager and it said that the drivers were correct, and that the device was working correctly.

I then went into 'Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras', expecting to find it there and be able to create a shortcut which I could put on the desktop. There is nothing there.

I then went to www.testmycam.net and the camera turned on and was working perfectly. I also used Skype tools to check the camera and that was working fine too. In fact I've just made a successful video call from the UK to a relative in the US and it worked perfectly!!!

I went back into 'Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras' to try to add a device now I knew it was working. However the webcam does not show up there as an option to install.

I also have an external USB Logitech webcam. I have plugged that in and am having exactly the same issue - it shows up in Device Manager as having the correct driver and working correctly but does not appear in 'Control Panel/Scanners and Cameras' or in 'Computer' on the desktop. It also works when checked on www.testmycam.net and Skype.

I know I am doing something really stupid and it is probably a 10 second fix, but after playing around with this for about 6 hours now I'm tearing my hair out!

Could somebody please tell me how to open either of my webcams!

Thanks in advance,

Cheffy21.

Edited by Cheffy21, 20 August 2014 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:22 AM

Hi Cheffy21. In my experience with webcams specifically branded, they usually comes with CD drivers with software package installer for the particular webcam while others are available online by the support site. In your case, if the replaced built-in webcam is of the same hardware, then the OEM driver (Applications - Creative) for Dell would work or need reinstalling. If it happens to be of different type of hardware on the replaced, working buit-in cam, then you need to identify the hardware ID or look from the panel of the cam itself to identify the product number or brand to install the particular driver for the replaced hardware. It must be a case where your previous cam is using the Dell driver but when replaced is not compatible or suitable with the installed Dell driver. The USB logitech webcam should have also a CD most likely or a driver is available online. Usually, I would install the driver (CD or online) before inserting the USB video cam atleast on some instructions provided by some webcams. The webcam drivers are universal in most cases and are not harmful or cause conflict in computer system unless they are outdated or not compatible with newer computers.

With regards to the Control Panel webcam devices not appearing, I can not vouch if most webcams appear by this category.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users