Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to test for a botnet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MorganL4

MorganL4

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

So I like to think iI know a thing or two about computers (I have a bachelor's degree in IT to prove it) but one thing that is causing me worry is that every night, late at night my hard drive will spin up and all 4 cores of my CPU will start working full boar, and yet I have absolutely no programs running. I go into task manager, and look at the processes that are running, and it tells me that Steam is the most taxing thing on my PC. I end the process, and nothing changes. Acording to my meters all 4 cores are going crazy and the drive is spinning like mad. I shut the PC down and it says "preparing to shut down, waiting for backround programs to close" And yet a moment ago, accordng to my process list in task manager there was nothing running AT ALL. So my first thought is that somehow, my PC has become a part of a botnet. Does anyone know how I can test for this, and if it proves true how to remove it? Because when I run Kaspersky or Malwarebytes nothing comes up as infected.

Any help would greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 20 August 2014 - 11:29 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:04 PM

Hello,

I felt these were 2 good articles.

How to Tell

Scholarly articles for detecting botnet infection

>>>>>>>

6 Tools to Detect
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware or get a second opinion

Note: RUBotted is mentioned in the 6 Tools to Detect article.

RUBotted by Trend Micro claims to monitor a computer for potential infection and suspicious activities associated with bots. The program works by regularly checking with an online service to identify behavior associated with Bots and upon discovering a potential infection, RUBotted prompts you to scan and clean your computer with HouseCall.

It has been reported that RUBotted is very difficult to remove and there are no specific removal instructions available from Trend that I can find. Further, the program's effectiveness is questionable so I don't recommend using it. Read this review of RUBotted and the user comments.

-- Please note that this program is a beta version of a product and not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability.

What is beta software?

After an initial round of in-house testing, software publishers often release new programs to be tested by the public. These pre-release versions are called beta software, usually denoted by a "b" in the version number, e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.0b5. Since the publisher couldn't possibly test the software under all possible conditions, it is reasonable to expect that wider use of the software may uncover problems that were not discovered during in-house testing. The publisher expects to be notified when users find such problems so that the program can be fixed before its official release.

In general, you should expect to run into bugs whenever using any piece of beta software. These bugs may range in severity from minor features that don't work to problems that cause your computer to crash. You should decide whether the benefit of new features in a beta program outweighs the risk of program instability before choosing to use a piece of beta software. You should also be aware ...you should not expect the same level of support as you would receive for an official release version of the program.

Beta version software is useful for internal demonstrations, testing and previews to select customers, but may be unstable and not yet ready for a release candidate stage. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. Not that I am implying you are inexperienced...just speaking generally. However, if you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 andrazaharia

andrazaharia

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

Super helpful, guys! Thanks for the recommendations. I was wondering if I have the same problem with my home laptop, so this wasa really useful.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:03 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users