Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy Linux To Use?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computercrash

computercrash

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:40 AM

what linux will work with my computer?
hp (older) 98se right now.
cpu intel celeron 600mhz
128mb ram.
thank you for your help!
need a easy to use os. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ursahoribl

ursahoribl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

computercrash:

There are a few distros that you might consider. I run SimplyMepis with no problems on an old 450Mhz box with 128 mb ram. Easy install and good support site for your questions. I dual boot with 98SE and both work well. Just a suggestion.

However, you would do well to go to the Live Linux forum and research the available distros before settling on any particular one. Live Linux distros run off CDs and require no changes to your present system. Slower, yes, but you can see how the distro works and if you don't like that one, try another.

Don't think I've met or heard of anyone who settled on the first distro they tried. Some dual boot two or three distros for use depending on what they're doing at the time.

Good luck in your search, I don't think you'll regret it. :thumbsup:

grizzly

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hi.
I have been using Puppy Linux for a while and I find it very please. The older verisons have a '9X feel to them.
Invest in a $10 128Mb RAM module and run the live linux from a RAM drive. If you do not like them remove the disk, reboot and go back to what you were using before.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:28 AM

In my experience, there is no "easy" linux to use. Bottom line is simply this, if you are a windows/Mac OS user, you will have to relearn an entire operating system. Most major linux distros can be manipulated enough from desktop and menu environment to satisfy many windows users. Any Mac OS user should be a little ahead of the game as it uses a nice command line to accent it's ops anyway. To maximize the potential of whatever linux distro you choose, you will have to learn command line functioning and little words like compile will become household words to you.

I'm not trying to make it sound difficult or scray. It's just like anything else you've done all your life and decide you want something different. You have to learn it to best use it.

As far as "best" distro's. There isn't really one. There are some real crap ones, but then again, all the packaged ones are great. It's down to your preference, and really whichever you choose and get used to. I personally prefer SuSE Linux, although a person who prefers Fedora (previously known as Red Hat) will always wonder why. Slackware users use the slim speediness of it and usually crack jokes like "real geeks use slackware". Mandrake is good as well. I would advise to stay away from linspire. I don't really know much about puppy, so I would have to take the word of acklan for it's abilities. Here's a few links to some of thier download pages to help you decide;

SUSE
Fedora Project
Mandrake (aka Mandriva)

Anyway...those are the big 3 (arguably) in the linux world. Don't be fooled about lack of support, it's simply not true. You may not get the support you want from the company which produced it, unless of course you buy the boxed set. You will find there are a million communities out there to help you out. The biggest and in my opine, the best is Sourceforge. If they don't have what your looking for, it's either not around yet or you don't need it.

I hope this blabbering was helpfull to you.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users