Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't read files from mp3player (anymore)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

I bought a very basic mp3player yesterday (Difrnce, mp851) and put some music on it. I didn't do anything odd, just opening the Fdrive which appeared when I plugged in the USB and then putting the mp3files on there. This went just fine, 2.5GB on a 4GB memory. No worries.

So now I tried to play it and I put power into the device for the first time (AAAbattery). The device says "initiating" and opens the menu. However, all folders are empty! That's odd, so I plug the mp3player into the computer (ASUS laptop, windows 8.1) again, and the Fdrive has indeed 2.5GB of its memory in use. HOWEVER, this time, when I open the Fdrive folder, it is empty (0 items). Where I saw a list of mp3files the first time round, it is all empty now. But "properties" still gives 2.5GB to read! I am certain I am not in some subfolder, but apart from that I really have no clue what is going on.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do? I would like to bring it back to the shop, but they'll probably just give me a new one without the possibilities of copying the files and I do want this for I put them on the mp3player permanently... no back up... :blush:

BASICALLY: files are mysteriously gone (0 items), memory still occupied... :alien2:

Screenshot (note: Dutch version of windows)

screenshot20augmp3playeractingup.jpg

Edited by DefinitelyNoExpert, 20 August 2014 - 06:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi,

Are you saying that you copied files to the new player that you no longer have access to so that they cannot be recopied?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yes, but they are also not playable. As you see in the screenshot, the property piechart shows quite some memory is being used. However, behind it the Fdrive is displayed and that shows just a 0kb LIB-file (whatever that might be).

Yesterday, it showed about 400 mp3files. Why aren't those showing now? What changed?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

I have no idea what changed. Do you have the current version of Windows Media Player installed? Can you see the files when in that program? Can you play any of them?

I'm assuming that both devices have been rebooted at least once.

Keep us posted

Dick E

#5 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

They don't play: they don't get recognized.

Could it be that something went wrong while removing the mp3player from the USBport?

Should I just reformat the device and consider the files lost? Or is there still a way to retrieve them?

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

Stuff happens. If you didn't click on the USB icon and then the device indicating that you wanted to eject it, damage/file loss is possible.

If you have an unerase utility you might run it and see if it can find the 'lost' files and 'recover' them. It would only take the corruption of the first character of a folder or file name to make it 'invisible'.

Under the circumstances a reformat and reloading sounds like the better option.

Keep us posted

Edited by dicke, 21 August 2014 - 07:35 AM.

Dick E

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

i'm not sure if your problem is "windows shows the drive as being part full but when i go in in the file browser the mp3 device is empty of actual files" or if you have a problem like " i wrote all these great songs to my mp3 device and when i stick it into my computer i can see them on there but the mp3 player doesn't see them when i handle it separately from the computer". the second case would likely be due to a format or codec used on the audio files which the mp3 player doesn't recognise.  the first cae might prove to be a little different if you plug in the mp3 player like a usb drive and browse through it with "show hidden files and "show protected system files" turned on under "folder options" in your file browser. hopefully you have a copy of all the music files stored elsewhere (on a usb/ on your harddrive), try opening them to see if they play (if windows media player doesn't like them VLC might still be able to run them for use on your computer). if you have the music files copied elsewhere try a full format/reset (i don't know which would be the right thing to do, whatever you choose you need to ensure that by clearing the mp3 player you don't delete it's internal software as well as the music files), set the player up  again then write the files to it again.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

Hi,

You could try this recovery option, no guarantee that it will recover you files but the program will work on your equipment.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Regards,

:busy:

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#9 DefinitelyNoExpert

DefinitelyNoExpert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:54 PM

@rp88: Indeed the first problem.

It seems that formatting is the answer here. I tried RECUVA to get the files back, but out of the 1984 files (!) that were on there (which were all found by the program), it only managed to recover 408, of which 396 partially (no use) and only 12 fully. Oh well, better than none.

Then I reformatted the mp3player and put those 12 songs back on. Now it seems to play just fine. Lets hope it stays that way.

Thank you all for your help.

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

You're welcome

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe