Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PS3 - screen going weird

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

Hi.

I just put a game in my PS3 console and it started to load and then the screen started going weird. Parts of it kept going black and white with a checkerboard pattern and it got worse and started taking up more of my screen and it was jumping around. It also flickered a few times and I think at one point it may have been lines. Either way I quit the game and once I'd done that all was fine again.

I think it was crackling or making some noise while going funny, but I'm not sure as I was more concerned with quitting the game to try and stop it as it was really bad.

The other day I went to play a game and had to do an update. Near the end I started to get flickering colours and lines all over the place, jumping around, but it continued updating/installing. Once the game had actually loaded it was perfectly fine.

My PS3 has buzzed a bit sometimes but only recently. I've also had a problem where it just refused to display anything to start with and then eventually decided it was all plugged in fine and could work.

The TV is one I've had since the start of this year so still fairly new and it's worked fine up until now. The PS3 is a slim model that I've had a few years now.

It's happened on two games, one of which I've played before with no problems. I think the other one was one I hadn't yet played.

I have changed the HDMI cable, but both cables I have work perfectly fine with my Xbox 360 so I'd guess it's not the cable that's faulty.

Everything is plugged in fine and I have played it inbetween (for hours) with no problems at all.

What is likely to be the problem?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

Try resetting the PS3 Display Settings: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/523/~/change-ps3-video-settings

You mentioned it was making a crackling noise, was that the TV or the PS3?

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Try resetting the PS3 Display Settings: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/523/~/change-ps3-video-settings

You mentioned it was making a crackling noise, was that the TV or the PS3?

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Not sure. Both right next to each other so it's hard to tell where the sound is coming from. I would assume out of the two the PS3 would be more likely to be the one crackling.

#4 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:32 PM

It could possibly be either the cables or the graphics card... But I am not an expert, just guessing.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

Any panel mounted HDMI connector is subject to stress just from the weight of the cable hanging in it.  Once push to the intermittent point, replacement may be needed.  Most often the connections become loose from being plugged and un-plugged excessively but permanent setups get stress from the cable itself. 

#6 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

I was getting lines on my screen while playing PS2 games on my 60gb PS3 before it died eventually from the YLOD. I would make sure to back-up everything before it's too late and gets the YLOD.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:42 AM

Thanks for the replies. It's been fine since and I haven't changed anything so don't know what its problem was.

#8 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:47 AM

Any panel mounted HDMI connector is subject to stress just from the weight of the cable hanging in it.  Once push to the intermittent point, replacement may be needed.  Most often the connections become loose from being plugged and un-plugged excessively but permanent setups get stress from the cable itself. 

I don't unplug it very often. I can't imagine there's much stress from the cable either.

#9 leanhnam221+

leanhnam221+

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:21 AM

may be necessary for you to change the Video Output Settings on the PS3 in order to see a picture.

Reset Video Output

If you are changing cables or cannot see an image on the screen, you may need to reset the video output to default settings. To reset the video output:

1. While the PS3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive On/Off button on the front of the system until the PS3 beeps a second time (approximately 5 seconds), then release it.
  2. The PS3 will power up, the Video Output Settings will automatically reset to the standard resolution (or detect the current display output settings of your TV/monitor).
Manually Change Video Output

If you wish to change the video cable or change the video resolution you may manually change the video output.

Tiny tanks unblocked

#10 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I haven't had an issue in over 6 months and didn't change a thing.

#11 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 11 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

i think it might be the HDMI cable. its not always a software issue. but try changing this cable and see what occurs

#12 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:30 AM

i think it might be the HDMI cable. its not always a software issue. but try changing this cable and see what occurs

It works fine now, but if you read the original post you'll see that I did change the HDMI cable. The cable wasn't at fault though as it works fine with my xbox 360.

I may also have switched the HDMI cables round since so may well be using the same one with my PS3 that I was in the first place lol. No problems since though either way.

#13 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:59 AM

great information.. my PS3 have this problem a short while ago.. it goes on and off though. 

#14 leanhnam221+

leanhnam221+

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:20 AM

may be necessary for you to change the Video Output Settings on the PS3 in order to see a picture.

Reset Video Output

If you are changing cables or cannot see an image on the screen, you may need to reset the video output to default settings. To reset the video output:

1. While the PS3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive On/Off button on the front of the system until the PS3 beeps a second time (approximately 5 seconds), then release it.
  2. The PS3 will power up, the Video Output Settings will automatically reset to the standard resolution (or detect the current display output settings of your TV/monitor).
Manually Change Video Output

If you wish to change the video cable or change the video resolution you may manually change the video outpTut.

Tiny Tanks Unblocked

Tiny tanks unblockedTi

Edited by leanhnam221+, 07 July 2015 - 12:21 AM.

#15 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:50 AM

If you've reposted that because of my latest topic, then I already did that. That's why I have a picture. If it automatically detects output settings it should be HD and it's not. I've looked at manually changing it and haven't found a way (hence my new topic). Not sure why you reposted here rather than on there though.

If you've reposted that for another reason then I'm confused as to why...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users