Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Recovery Console to clean all but OS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yass

yass

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

Hi all,

I recently made a new computer and moved to it.

But i do lots of programming development and need to support xp. I have my old machine, i transferred all files over. Now I want to just clean up xp and just keep the os on there and then install firefox and do my addon development and other firefox related programming testing on there.

I installed recovery console but i dont know how to "semi-format" meaning just leave the os. Can you please help me to accomplish this.

Basically I want to do a system restore to the point where the os was just installed fresh.

Thx

Edited by yass, 20 August 2014 - 02:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

Bring up the Recovery Console. Select the first (top) option "To set up Windows XP now, press Enter".

This will do a clean install of WinXP,,,  NO PERSONAL DATA WILL BE SAVED!!! You will need your XP install disk to do this, unless the PC in question has a Recovery Partition.  If the PC in question has a Recovery Partition, then you will need to refer to the PC documentation on how to do a Recovery. In either case, a CLEAN install of XP is the result. You may also need the MB driver install disk, depending on your setup.

Now you will be faced with the slog thru the Windows Update process that occurs with a clean install of XP, which is a chore, unless your copy of XP had SP1 slip-streamed. Then the process is somewhat easier.

There is no way to do exactly what you want without just manually removing (via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel) all programs you have installed over the PCs life.

Hope this helps.

#3 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

Hello there,

Have you considered installing "VM VirtualBox" in your main machine and then installing Windows XP within VM VirtualBox. It will be great for testing purposes where you can create snapshots of your VM's and revert to that point in time when needed.  

Hope this helps!

#4 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Thanks very much guys. The problem is I don't have the XP CD :( Is it not possible without it?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users