Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening a JPG causes infinite explorer.exe processes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lemons22

Lemons22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

***EDITED*** because I found out the prob only happens with .jpeg

This is a really weird problem...so much so that I've had no luck googling it so I decided to create an account here and ask you guys.

The problem is that if I attempt to open a .jpeg file (not .jpg, it only happens with .jpeg) my computer will start spawning a million explorer.exe processes. I can "fix" the problem by resaving the image as a .jpg, but I would really like to fix the root of the problem and find out why I'm having trouble opening .jpeg.

For additional info I use Windows Photo Viewer as my image viewing program, and the problem only occurs when I launch the program from the file. If I'm just flipping through the images while already in the program it will display a .jpeg file just fine and won't freak out.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.

Edited by Lemons22, 20 August 2014 - 02:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

G'day Lemons22, and Welcome to BC.

What operating system are you using ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Lemons22

Lemons22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

I'm using Windows 7...hence why I posted in the Windows 7 forum.

EDIT: Fixed my own problem.

Turns out there was just a bad file association. Somehow, and god knows how this happened, but .jpeg became associated with Windows Explorer, and I guess when that happens it responds by opening a million exporer.exe processes. For a while I couldn't figure out how to fix this because .jpeg just wasn't on the list of file types in my file associations, but I did find it through the "set your default programs" menu and was able to change it back to Windows Photo Viewer from there.

Just describing the solution in case anyone else is having the same trouble and finds this topic...

Edited by Lemons22, 20 August 2014 - 03:21 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

yeah good....just making sure :wink:

Download THIS  and save it to your desktop

Right click on the downloaded .reg file, and click on Merge.
NOTE: If you wish to see what changes will be made by the REG file, then you can right click on the extracted REG file and click on Edit to see the default registry entries that will be added. REG files are just text files. The "Edit" function just opens them in Notepad.

If you do not see a Merge option when you right click on the REG file, then you will need to check in Default Programs to set the reg file extension to have it's Current Default program set as Registry Editor (C:\Windows\regedit.exe). Afterwards, try merging the REG file again.

4. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK.
NOTE: If you are logged in a standard user account, then you will get a Cannot import type error. Just click on OK for it. This is normal since what cannot be imported can only be done so by an administrator account instead. It will still restore the default association of the file extension though.

5. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .zip or .reg files on the desktop if you like.

6. Log off and log on, or restart the computer to apply.

Let me know how that goes.

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:36 AM

Great minds think alike !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users