Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soft Ether VPN - Is it safe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wuffle-waffle

wuffle-waffle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

I was just wondering if anyone could confirm the credibility of this opensource VPN? How safe is it and what are the chances of confidential business files getting exposed through using the virtual VPN server ?

https://www.softether.org/#What_is_SoftEther_VPN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

I don't have any experience about softether VPN .. Whenever I need the confidential business file transfer work I buy a VPN for my security because I can't trust on free VPN or Proxy as per less security issue .. Although for simple browsing or streaming I use free VPN such as Hotspot Shield, CyberGhost, Tunnelbear or Zenmate chrome extension but for business work I always recommend Personal VPN service which you can also get from here http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/personal-vpn-service 

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

as far as online anonymity/changing ip to a foreign one is concerned the only service i have ever tried is tor. the funniest thing about it being that the thing i mainly looked at through tor was articles on how to be more anonymous!

your plan for use of a vpn is to create a (hopefully) "safe" tunnel between you and another machine of yours/your workplace which is not something tor is suited or really necessary for, if you want to sent and receive confidential files you might be best just encrypting them and then sending the encrypted files via normal email or online backup services. i can be a bit old fashioned in my ideas for keeping files secret but i would suggest just sticking the confidential documents into an encrypted 7z archive (i have found 7z to be a legit piece of file compression software) and giving it a password. as i assume you are communicating with another individual (as in not mailing things to yourself) choose passwords based on something you can both see on the day like the main headline on page 5 of a newspaper you both read, use some basic "in the head" processes to scramble that headline into something a little less guessable. just tell your friend/colleague how you scramble the headline and where to find it each day, they can input it to decrypt the file when they receive it. i have never heard of softether, they might be legit, they might not but i would advise not adding any software to your machine or using any untested(as in things you haven't tried yourself before) methods if an alternative means is available based on things you already have access to. what's more even if you do find a trustworthy vpn adding the extra layer of encryption i describe could still be helpful.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users