Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 meeshalu

meeshalu

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

My son's Dell inspiron computer will not start up. After pressing f8, you get into the boot menu and it says that it doesn't recognize the hard drive. When you turn off and restart the computer, it just consistently "thinks" and then shuts off. After this, it starts the whole process over again. Should I just buy a new hard drive and replace the old? I, literally, cannot do anything to make it work...I have tried. Also, he said he dropped it recently, would that cause the defect in the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:10 AM

"Also, he said he dropped it recently, would that cause the defect in the drive?"

HDDs tends to be sensitive to shock, you can test this hard drive on a working computer just to make sure. In my opinion it's pretty much a dead cause.  Even if, by some miracle of the sun god, you managed to make it work, I would still recommend you to buy a new one and transfer your files there.

PS: by doing "everything" I am assume that you have ensured that the HDD is getting enough power from the PSU, and that all the connections/cables are working and properly installed. 

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#3 IllusionEclipse

IllusionEclipse

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:04 AM

I've had this kind of experience in the past,

You may have to look into getting a new HDD as Zerue said. A hard enough knock is enough to dislodge the HDD resulting in the computer being unable to boot.

In the lighter side of things it may be just that the cable needs to be reattached fully.

An illusion is as real as the person who sees it, but wouldn't that be an illusion in and of itself?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

You can run Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality.

What model Inspiron is this?

Dell 32-Bit Diagnostics - http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails/Product/inspiron-17-n7010?driverId=GTW03&osCode=W764&fileId=2731094900&languageCode=en&categoryId=DI

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Dell PC Diagnostics Dell US - http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/555/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users