Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard Connection - Usb Or Not Usb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:09 AM

The Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard has a USB port connection. I have been told, most forcibly, by a computer literate friend, that a keyboard should never be connected to a USB port. That is because a computer has a dedicated keyboard path that always goes through its small multipin connector. [psi connector?]

But when I connected my new Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard to a USB port, there was a message. ‘FOUND NEW HARDWARE. USB COMPOSITE DEVICE’.

Because Microsoft has manufactured a keyboard that connects to a computer via a USB port, I believe that what I have been told is wrong.

Please, what is your opinion?

whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:16 AM

The only problem with using USB keyboards or mice is that USB doesn't work until Windows is fully booted and if you have a problem before that happens you will not be aboe to use either.

Sometimes it is necessary to be able to use the keyboard in bios setup to change boot order, etc,

Edited by Enthusiast, 04 June 2006 - 09:18 AM.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:12 AM

Not only the things that Enthusiast has mentioned, but with XP there is a terrible tendency for USB ports to become unusable with no cure other than reinstalling the operating system. The small round jacks for the older style (PS2) keyboards and mice *never* go bad and work under every condition and with every program. I believe manufacturers are "cheaping out" by selling USB keyboards and mice. The better models will have a USB-to-PS2 adapter on the end of the cable, or just a PS2 connector alone.

#4 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:36 AM

Thank you Enthusiast, and Pascor22234,

We, the computer literate friend and me, unplugged the keyboard from the USB port and, using a small converter that fitted onto the keyboard's USB plug, plugged the converter into the PS2 port. Nothing happened. The keyboard was dead.

So it appears that there is no way to attach a USB Composite Device keyboard to a computer so that the problem Enthusiast has described is overridden?

>>The only problem with using USB keyboards or mice is that USB doesn't work until Windows is fully booted and if you have a problem before that happens you will not be able to use either.

Sometimes it is necessary to be able to use the keyboard in bios setup to change boot order, etc.<<

Surely Microsoft is aware of the problem and there is a remedy. If not, does that mean that one should keep a spare keyboard that has the PS2 connection, and use it if there is a need to access bios to change boot order.

Many thanks

whatapalaver

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:44 AM

Did you plug it in with the computer off?

Plug it into the PS2 port with the computer off and then boot the computer.

#6 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

Yes. I attached this USB keyboard, using a 'USB to PS2 adapter', to this computer's PS2 port when the computer was switched off and when I rebooted the keyboard was dead. So I removed the 'adapter' and connected the keyboard to another computer's USB port and it was OK. It has been reconnected to this computer's USB port and I'm using it now. To test this computer's PS2 port an old type keyboard has been connected to it and there has not been a problem. Also, the 'USB to PS2 adapter' has been exchanged for a brand new one and the USB keyboard was still dead.

One further question. When a keyboard is attached to a computer, the computer recognises it, so I'm wondering if I can have a designated USB port for the new USB keyboard and a designated PS2 port for an old PS2 keyboard. Would the computer recognise the two keyboards if I connected them, individually, with a reboot after each keyboard is attached? If I then removed the PS2 keyboard and used the USB keyboard while the empty PS2 port is empty and idle, and a problem occurred, could I could remove the USB keyboard and attach the PS2 keyboard to access the bios setup to change boot order?

I like the new soft-touch USB MicrosoftComfort Curve 2000 keyboard, but I'm thinking I will have return to my old chunky-touch PS2 keyboard.

Thanks for your advice. Perhaps there should be a 'health' warning on new USB keyboard boxes.

whatapalaver

#7 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

If you already have an old PS2 keyboard as a backup, there is no harm in continuing to use it. Most new motherboards have USB enabled (even before the OS loads) - can you get into and edit the BIOS with your USB keyboard? If yes, then there is no problem!
I've been using USB mouse and keyboard for about 18 months without event. Like I said - if you have a PS2 board as a backup then there should be no problems.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#8 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members