Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

search.ask.com will not go away

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 teepspalmer

teepspalmer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Windows 8.1

HP Pavilion Touchsmart 15 Sleekbook

I tried running DSS but I get "can't run in Compatibility Mode".  I read that it can't run in Win 8.1 yet.  Let me know what you want to see. 

This one is driving me nuts.  I've been cleaning up this computer and everything seemed to go smoothly, but I just can't get rid of the search.ask.com tabs when I start up Chrome.  I've used Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, and HitmanPro to no avail.  I've manually gone into Chrome's settings and removed the start pages, cleared the cache, removed the ask search engines and it still won't go away.  I've even deleted the user profile for Chrome. I don't see the Ask toolbar in the uninstall programs area, nor anything produced by Ask or Mindspark.  I've tried running the antimalwares in Safe Mode and that didn't work either.  I'm completely fresh out of ideas.

The computer also seems to be acting a little strange in terms of trying to install software.  Some will install without a hitch.  Others will get stuck at some point and not install at all, even when waiting for several hours.  That seems to coincide with a loss of network connection at times.  It feels like there is a proxy in the way or possibly issues with LSP but nothing is indicated by HijackThis or LSPFix.  I've also run TDSSKiller and it found nothing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teepspalmer

teepspalmer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

Please cancel, delete, remove this post.  I got help elsewhere.  Thanks for all you guys do.  You ROCK!

#3 satchfan

satchfan

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,858 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

My help is always free of charge. If you are happy with the help provided, if you wish you can make a donation to buy me a beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users