Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Good Name Cause no EIA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bcmudd

bcmudd

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

When television became public the USA mandated a agency called the EIA. The Electronics industry association. Their job was to standardize things among manufactures so the consumer would not be ripped off.   I am building a new computer and so many variables to research.  The good news is I am retired from hard labor and can finally enjoy my vision of physics. I love the work Intel has put forth to all of us. I love the caring work that Microsoft has diligently put forth. Amen to the motherboard manufacturers and all the compatibility efforts by all. I have the time to do private work and research, and investment is of solid long term priority.    So My first question.   What motherboard, What OS??????

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 August 2014 - 06:54 PM.
Moved to System Building

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

The selection of components by anyone chooseing to build...is entirely subjective, IMO.

In general, I start with evaluating why it is that I am even contemplating a change...what is it that my present system does not do...or I feel can be done better...by another system?

For me...that's a moot point, since I change components/systems entirely on nothing but whim :).  Because I can do such.

So it seems to me that you need to answer a few questions for yourself...before paying attention to any suggestions by anyone with an entirely different perspective on what system you should invest time and money into.  Needs...wants....whims....those are the key determinants, as I see it and you are the only person who knows those things, at this point in time.

In general...I decide CPU, then board (I have no need for gamer bells/whistles/considerations).  The board will determine the RAM.  The PSU is a matter of choice, as is the O/S.  If you don't game, there is no reason to use an external graphics card, IMO, since a number of motherboards and CPUs provide graphics capabilities.

Others...have their own approaches/opinions.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

What OS (Operating System) is a huge question with no right answer, other than what works for you.  A large part of what OS to use is determined by the software you want to use if your software isn't supported by your OS you can't use it.  Next do you need to share information with others?  As Munich found out you may save money with your OS selection, but have to build custom applications to work with others.  Another consideration is how long are you going to be using your OS.  If the manufacturer won't support your OS for as long as you plan to use it, you're going to run into problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users