Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what anti virus should i use?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ArthBrah

ArthBrah

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

just installed windows 7

i used to use eset smart security when i had windows xp

should i carry on using that or are there better anti virus programs out there now?

if you know of any please tell me

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:51 PM

You ask a common question for which you will receive varying opinions and recommendations. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Please read:Here are links to some recent BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
* What is the best antivirus protection?
* What's the best premium security suite in the market currently?
* Recommend a good free antivirus program
* Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?
* Antivirus Solution?

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program. If you don't want to pay then I recommend avast! Free Antivirus.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ArthBrah

ArthBrah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the reply.

im sure you probably know whats good on computers being a mod here.. you use eset so i will carry on continue to use eset also.  :thumbup2:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

You're welcome.

#5 YourFriend

YourFriend

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

I see members here that have very much experience in using AntiViruses and tuning computers. They will sure be able to help you.

As far as I am concerned, I try to avoid AntiViruses because they make my computer run like a snail. Anyway, I keep my Windows updated and stay away from installing un-authorized programs.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to be resource heavy and negatively affect system performance. This is because they insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and require numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of resources which often results in complaints of high CPU usage. This is especially true, if the anti-virus software is a bundled suite which includes extra features with unnecessary "bells and whistles." How adversely the impact on performance also depends on the computer system itself (amount of, RAM, CPU speed, motherboard, etc) and what other installed programs load at startup which will compete for system resources. Well known vendors like McAfee, Trend Micro and Symantec are designed more for use in an Enterprise system environment protecting many client computers or on high-end and newer computer systems which can handle the resource demands they impose.

However, impact on system performance should never be a reason not to use anti-virus protection. Many of today's attackers employ advanced techniques which involve sophisticated Botnets, Backdoor Trojans and rootkits to hide their presence on a computer. Without proper security tools including an anti-virus which can detect such malware, you can never be absolutely sure your computer has not been infected.

#7 Libyan expert

Libyan expert

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

that's depends on your ram and cpu speed if it's strong you can use bitdefander or Kaspersky

if not carry on using east

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:38 AM

ArthBrah has already decided to go with ESET.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users