Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Install Another HDD And Still Use My Torrents

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 george321

george321

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

I currently am using a HP6620f pc with two hard drives installed. The C: drive has the OS and programs and misc. The other hard drive I use as a data drive and it holds the torrent files from two different Utorrent programs. The data drive is 2tb and about full. I want to install another 2tb drive. I have slot and plug room on the motherboard so instillation should not be a problem. My concern is that I would have to change the downloaded file  destination drive in the two Utorrent programs so that any new torrent files would be routed to the new drive . If I do that would people wanting to upload torrents from the old drive still be able to see their availibility and upload them. Hope I have worded this so its understandable. Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:49 PM

It would depend on the Utorrent program if you can point to multiple locations.  Another possible option is that you can mount a drive as a folder inside another drive.  I haven't done much with this other than verifying that it can be done.  Essentially instead of assigning it a drive letter you mount it as a folder on D:.  So it might be D:\Torrents\Overflow.  Assuming that your torrent software can parse subdirectories of the main directory there shouldn't be an issue.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:35 PM

Changing the download destination on uTorrent is trivial.  Literally you just choose a different directory as a destination, which you can do on a per torrent basis.  You can also move the location of existing torrent target directories.  And yes the program will "remember" where each torrent is, so having them spread across different drives is not a problem. Something I wouldn't recommend is using most external drives as a destination.  I guess drives in a well engineered enclosure with active cooling would be fine.  But most external drives are intended for individual backups and storage (pretty much occasional use) and not designed for the very heavy disk I/O that seeding large numbers of torrents can result in.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users